Chapter Four

The first thought that came to Kelsey's mind when Lydia told them that Louis Hughes might be the killer, was that there was no way he could have done it. She said as much to Michael as they followed Lydia back to her lab.

"From what I remember, the man looked like he'd turn into a pile of dust if a breeze blew by. How could he have killed someone half his age, with twice his body weight?" she asked.

Michael shrugged. "The evidence says he found a way."

In truth, he too was having a hard time picturing Louis as a murderer, but he knew from experience that stranger things had happened before.

"The evidence is bogus."

"Are you saying she doesn't know how to do her job?" he whispered to her, nodding towards Lydia who was walking ahead of them. "I dare you to say that to her face. While she's holding one of her sharp objects."

Oblivious to their conversation, Lydia swiped her key card at the door and leaned forward for the retinal scanner.

"Why do we have so much security for a room that's meant for corpses and the yucky things that come out of them? Like anyone would want to steal that." Kelsey asked, shaking her head while she put on gloves and a mask once they were inside the lab. "As for the evidence, all I'm saying is that it isn't always what it seems. Remember Tasha's case?"

He did remember.

"That was different. Your argument is that Louis doesn't look like he'd be able to kill someone. People can surprise you, so don't judge a book by its cover or pass a verdict based on assumptions."

"My argument is based on facts. The man is old and frail and couldn't possibly kill anything with all the weapons in the world if it was standing right in front of him waiting to be killed," Kelsey argued.

"Let's just hear what he says when they bring him in."

"Since I was working the case with Daniel, do I get to question Louis too?" she asked hopefully, following him further into the lab to a steel table where Lydia had the camera and a mannequin laid out. A second one was leaning against the wall behind her.

"Absolutely not."

"Why not? I know the details of this case very well. And isn't this supposed to be part of my training? Thanks to you, I also know how to defend myself in case he actually turns out to be a murderer and attacks me if I accidentally lock myself in the room with him."

"You had one lesson. And it was mostly theory."

"You didn't say no," she said in a sing-song voice.

Michael let out an exasperated sigh. "You're already biased and convinced he's innocent. It'll be hard for you to be objective and I don't want to deal with another Nate-Tasha situation."

She wrinkled her nose. "Ewww. Louis is like a hundred. And I have a boyfriend."

"Sorry, Harris. You're not winning this one. Naomi will be questioning Louis with Daniel since she was the one who talked to him the night he found the body. You can read the transcript after and we'll discuss you questioning people once you've trained more."

"Fine," she conceded grumpily.

"If you two are done..." Lydia said impatiently.

"Sorry," they apologised at the same time.

"After establishing that the strap attached to the camera might be the murder weapon, I had to confirm it by re-enacting the kill, so to speak," Lydia said. She brought the leaning mannequin forward and turned it to face Kelsey and Michael.