1. first spring alone

2005.04.01

Sendai, Japan

Today is the first day of April. Today also marks knowing Yuzuru for one year.

But of course, he doesn't go to this school anymore. On the first day of fifth grade, our teacher gave us the announcement. Everyone in class stared at me, wondering how I would react. But I showed no emotion. Or at least I tried not to. The last time I saw him was after the carnival in front of my door, and that scene replays in my head every day. 

Why did I have to turn around and run away embarrassed? If I didn't I could have talked to him longer.

After I read the letter, I immediately rushed to his house. But I was too late. The moving truck had just left, disappearing into the distance.

At that time, I wasn't sure what emotions I should be feeling. Angry? Betrayed? Sad? Confused? No word in the English language could describe what my mind was going through. I understood his reason for moving, and I could never be mad at him for chasing his dream. But in a sense, I felt upset that he would throw away the relationship both of us have poured so much trust into. At least he could have told me earlier.

But after our months together, it was hard to blame him for anything.

It still feels strange walking alone to school every day. Spring this year looks ever so beautiful, yet gloomy at the same time. 

The cherry blossom tree at the corner of the road bloomed ever so gracefully. I stood there and looked up at the flowers falling down, hoping to lift the heavy feelings off my shoulders. But doing so only made me more nostalgic.

I opened my palm so it would face the sky. A petal landed softly on my hand, allowing me to inhale the sweet scent. I stared at the flower for a moment, spacing out in the process.

The familiar sound of the first bell rang through the April air, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at the petal in my hand one last time, before dropping it on the ground, making it land on the hard concrete. I picked up my pace, and jogged my way through school.

My keychain repeatedly hit my backpack, the bells jingling along with the beat of my footsteps. 

The sight of a 11 year old boy was nowhere to be found, only the back of a girl running to school alone was in sight.

"Once there was a thing called spring when the world was writing verses like yours and mine."

a/n:

Chapters with 00 in front of it (for example 003) are meant to be time filler chapters (if that's what they're called). Basically, they are here to inform you what Sora is doing or feeling in the 10 years Yuzuru and her are separate, as it wouldn't make sense just to skip a decade between the last time they met and the present.

Also, if you haven't noticed, these chapters will be shorter.

Once again, thanks for reading!