18

18

After almost an hour of a number of people taking to the stage and giving presentations, River felt as though she could fall asleep. Celeste tried several times to initiate hushed conversations, but River could only give a half-hearted replies. She had heard Celeste say that she had used the conference to be with River, but she still felt a little put-out by the subterfuge.

If Celeste had said, in the beginning, that the trip to Scotland had two objectives, River doubted she would have thought any less of Celeste. That she had not even mentioned the coinciding conference felt like a deliberate misdirection. It made River realise that she didn't know Celeste at all and yet she had agreed to this weekend away, hundreds of miles from home.

The last presentation ended with the same, forced applause as all the others. The speaker leaving the stage, greeted by the same people, shaking the same hands and giving the same rictus smiles. Nothing River had heard had interested her at all and now the announcer proclaimed the presentation of awards. Were she not in mixed company, River could imagine thumping her head upon the table in frustration. She didn't even want to eat the upcoming meal. Only wanting to return to her room.

After a number of people made their way to the stage, collecting whatever award they had coming to them, mumbling prolonged acceptance speeches, giving calls out to their companies and making tired jokes, the announcer came to the final award and River almost cheered. Franchise management, it seemed, did not pander to brevity.

"And now to tonight's final award. An award that has seen the best and brightest within the franchise community receive it and go on to far greater achievements. Some of those winners, I can see out there in the audience." The announcer waved and pointed in several directions, where people gave self-deprecating shrugs, waved hands and smiled. "The award for Outstanding Achievement is given to those individuals that have gone above and beyond for their clients and this year's winner is no different. This individual has fostered over a dozen franchises to multi-million revenues, expanding presences beyond the United Kingdom into areas franchises have rarely entered."

"I think, once this is done, I'm going to bed." River had rested her elbow on the table, her head upon her fist and crossed her legs. Now, she prepared to leave, sitting up and adjusting her dress. "I'm sorry, Celeste, but this is not for me. None of it."

"If that's what you want." The disappointment in Celeste's face almost made River reconsider.

The announcer had gone on to mention many more things that recipient of the award had achieved and River had to admit, it did sound impressive to someone who had nothing to do with franchises. She wondered which talented individual was about to get dragged up to the stage.

"Therefore, without further ado, I'd like to invite the winner of this year's Outstanding Achievement award to the stage. And just because they are back on the market, doesn't mean you can headhunt them tonight. Leave that until the morning." The announcer laughed, along with several members of the audience. "So, welcome to the stage, our winner, late of CFM Services, now a free agent, Celeste DuBois! Ladies and gentleman, applause, please."

The audience erupted into furious clapping and it took River several seconds before it dawned upon her that Celeste had won. Even as she began to add her own applause to that travelling around the room, she saw Celeste stand, looking a little embarrassed. Lifting the front of her dress out of the way of her feet, Celeste made her way to the stage.

The applause continued as Celeste navigated around tables, shaking hands as she went, kissing cheeks. River even heard a few loud, shrill whistles. Taking care, in her high heels, Celeste climbed the short steps to the stage, accepting a handshake and a kiss from the announcer and then the odd-shaped perspex award. Celeste turned it in her hands, giving it an exaggerated look of appreciation before leaning in to the microphone.