Broken promises to broken problems

~Age 13~

Now we're back from the interview, nerves still high yet eased. I stared past the gate and into the forest, only to see a giant looking cockroach crawl across the bark of a tree and a shiver ran down my back.

"This place really creeps me out." Sakura seemed to have the same shiver run down her spine.

Anko only chuckled, "It should..they call it the forest of death, and soon enough you're gonna find out why."

"'They call it the forest of death, and soon you're gonna find out why.' Do your worst, you're not gonna scare me away. I can handle anything!" Naruto mocked, swinging his hips back and forth.

I was standing next to him, but I stepped a couple feet away in a silent attempt to let people know I don't associate with him.

"So looks like we've got ourselves a tough guy,"

Before our ramen addict could react, the proctor slid a kunai out of her sleeve, threw it at him, and reappeared behind the boy just as fast.

I'm glad I moved away from him earlier. I don't need to get caught up in his recklessness.

"Tough enough to handle this? You're not afraid, are you?"

"U-Uhh-" Naruto stumbled over his words as the scratch from the artillery thrown started to bleed.

"You know, tough guys like you usually leave their blood all over this forest." Anko continued, but then she paused.

Swiftly, she slid another weapon out of her sleeve only for it to come in close contact with a tongue. A long one.

"I was just...returning your knife." The owner of said tongue defended.

I would have listened to the rest of their conversation, but I got completely distracted.

This ninja gives off weird vibes. I could tell that even without sensing the chakra. But...it gives off a bad impression. Bad memories even.

Now, I would have tried to ignore it for now because I meet a lot of people like that but this is different. Really different.

Next thing I know, said ninja was staring back at me. Staring back with remembrance.

With amusement.

As she walked away, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in until I was in desperate need of air.

I can't just let that go unnoticed. The last time I let myself forget, we all almost died.

Funny thing is, if I probably started remembering chakra senses instead of just seeing them as distant memories, I could prevent a lot of things.

Do I blame myself? Sometimes. It can't be helped now of course, but it still haunts me sometime. With the pride of being an Uchiha, however, I would never admit that out loud.

Suddenly, a paper is waving in front of my face. I look at Naruto next to me, who's the one holding the paper.

I take it, silently thanking him and started listening to Anko.