Ch. 5 The Reception

After showering I dressed in some of the new clothes they had brought, then lay back on my bed, waiting for them to come for us. Clemont was still snoring like a band saw. As I lay there listening to him, all I could think about was what Serena had said about never going back. She was right. I suppose I hadn't thought as much about it as she had because I wasn't really giving up anything. Everyone I cared about was here.

About ten minutes later someone knocked on our door. "Mr. Ketchum, Mr. Citron. It's time for the reception."

"C'mon, Clemont," I said, sitting up. "It's time."

"Time for what?" he said groggily.

"To go to the reception."

He yawned loudly, then rolled over. "There'd better be food at this thing."

* * *

By the time we walked out of our room, everyone else was already standing in the hallway. Zeus, Korrina, Shauna, and Brock were talking to Gary.

Serena walked up to me and took my hand. She looked like she was feeling a little better. Or at least she was doing a better job of hiding her pain. "Did you see Gary?" She asked.

"I talked to him this afternoon."

"I hardly recognized him," she said. "He doesn't even look like the same person. "

"That's exactly what I said."

Just then Gary walked over to us. "Hey, Serena. Ashy-boy."

"I was just saying how great you look," Serena said.

"You look great too. Want to go out?"

Serena grinned. "Flattered, but you'll have to ask my boyfriend."

"That's not going to happen," I said.

"Even after I dropped those helicopter gunships?"

"Even," I said.

He laughed. "Like my father used to say, if you don't ask, the answer is always no." He leaned in closer and his voice lowered. "Have you guys seen Zeus?"

"We see him every day," I said.

"I mean, post shower. He, like, doesn't stink. He smells good."

"We'll go right over and sniff him," Serena said wryly.

Just then a voice from the end of the hall said, "You all clean up nicely." We all looked over to see Sycamore walking up the corridor. "Are we missing anyone? "

"Just me," Lillie said, walking out of her room.

"Lillie!" Iris shouted. The girls hugged. "Where have you been?" Iris asked.

"You know, after these guys took down the academy, I thought I'd come here for a while. How about you? I hear you've been hanging out in the jungle."

"It's true," Iris said proudly. "I've been eating mashed tree larvae and fishing for piranha."

"That's crazy, "Lillie said.

"Seeing you is crazy," Iris replied.

Like Gary, Lillie also looked different to me. Lighter. Healthier. I suppose being away from Cyrus had that effect on people.

"The reunions are just beginning," Sycamore said. "Let's go to the party."

I was pleased to hear that the event had been upgraded from a reception to a party. We followed Sycamore back down the hallway, through a set of double doors, then outside to another building. The night air was cool and filled with the song of crickets.