chapter 4 | MADMAX and the upside down

"It's just Max!", Eleven yelled from the hall.

Mike let out a sigh of relief. Seems like this Hopper guy is pretty strict.

Me and Mike got out of the room, and I got to meet Max Mayfield.

She had gorgeous, long red hair with blue eyes. She was wearing a rainbow striped T-shirt and blue jean shorts.

"Hey there", she said with a compassionate look. "Eleven told me all about you".

"You know, she's only like a year younger than us", Mike said.

"Shut up Mike", El said and elbowed him in the side.

"Ow!"

I went into the bathroom to take a shower. It felt so amazing to finally get clean. My thick, dark blonde hair returned to its regular color again.

I wrapped a towel around me and went into Elevens room. Mike had been sent into the kitchen.

"Okay, so I got you some clothes", Max said and opened her big sports bag. She gave me a white tank top and a pair of high waisted, baggy dark blue jeans. She added a black belt too.

"It looks so pretty!", El squeaked excitedly.

I hadn't worn regular clothes in years. I laughed.

"They fit perfectly!", I said happily and looked at Max.

Max smiled.

"Mike, coast is clear!", she yelled.

Mike came bursting in. He saw me in my new outfit and blow dried blonde hair.

"Wow yeah y/n you look so pre.. I mean good!", he said nervously.

I chuckled.

"Ooh let's do your makeup!", Max said excitedly.

She took out a small makeup bag, and went crazy!

"A little mascara, concealer, blush, lipgloss... done!".

I looked myself in the mirror. Wow, I thought. I hadn't felt this pretty ever in my life.

El looked at me.

"Wow y/n, go madmax!".

I looked confused.

"That's my nickname", Max chuckled and scratched her neck. It's a long story.

"Badass!".

•••

We sat on the couch and talked for a while.

"Y/n", Max said. "We need to talk to you about something".

"We need your help", El added.

I looked at them.

"Okay, so when I was little I lived at Hawkins lab". "I'm guessing you may have experienced something like that too?".

I looked down at my feet.

"Well, I may or may not have just escaped from Russia after eight years there" I managed to say. I felt like it finally got real, I hadn't really said it out loud before.

They all gasped. Max bursted out an "Are you serious?" and I also got some concerned looks from El and Mike. They made me explain everything from start to end. Starting with me getting kidnapped as a five year old, my time at the lab, the big demogorgon when I realized that I had to escape, the plane, the van, and the ditch where El found me.

They all looked shocked.

"Hold up", Mike said. "Did you just say demogorgon?"

El and Max exchanged looks. Seems like they hadn't realized.

"Yes, why?". I looked at them. They were quiet for a moment.

"H..how do you know about the demogorgons?" El said shakily.

"The Russians made me fight one", I sniffled. "It was horrifying".

El looked at Max. Then she looked over at me with sorrow in her eyes.

"The Russians know", Max said with panic in her voice.

"I'm so sorry y/n". "It's all my fault". Eleven sniffled. "I'm assuming you know all about the upside down too then?".

"Well, I've heard the Russians talk about it", I told her. "But wait, why are you apologizing? What do you mean it's all your fault?".

"It was all me", she cried. "I opened the gate, I was the one who broke the barrier. I didn't mean to!".

She was on the verge of crying. But she pulled it together. I gave her a forgiving look.

"El, it wasn't your fault", Mike said and hugged her from the side. El took a deep breath.

"I saw you y/n", Eleven continued. "When I used my powers, I could see you coming to help us defeat the shadow monster". "You'll help us, right?".

Of course I would. What else would I do? I have no one.

"Of course I will".

We heard a car drive up to the house. I ran up to the window to look who drove up to our small cabin. The car said: "Hawkins police".

"Is that Hopper?", I asked.

"Yep", El said shortly.

I quickly ran back to the couch just to not look suspicious when he came in.

"Just act normal", El said.

The door opened. There he stood, a big man with a beard and police uniform.

"Hey Hop", El said calmly.

He looked at me. I could feel his eyes investigating me.

"Who's this?", Hopper said an pointed at me.

"Hello sir, I'm y/n", I said trying to keep calm.

Hopper looked over at
at Eleven.

"A friend", she said while smiling at me.

"Hm". "Pleasure to meet you y/n", he said.

"Pleasure to meet you too sir".

He walked away into the bathroom. Whew! He wasn't as bad as El and Mike had described him. Not at all actually.

We continued talking and laughing, just like before. Everything seemed normal until Hopper came out of the bathroom.

"Eleven!"