1| The Deal

ᴀʟᴇx ᴀʟʙᴇʀᴛ———

ᴀʟᴇx ᴀʟʙᴇʀᴛ
———

You know when is it really that you know who you truly are?

Not the moment of pure euphoria when you have consumed a strong addictive drug. As it runs through your airways, slowly but effectively, and as it melts into your blood, it sends your whole body into a wave of shock.

Thinking that state of mind will tell you who you are.  It doesn't though.

It's also not the moment you are barely holding onto life, breathing your last few breaths, trying your best to keep a steady rhythm, as a sharp knife sticks painfully into your body, making you feel every shred of your skin ripping apart, all while you bleed to death.

Telling yourself that hopefully, you'll know who you are before your last breath.

These are not moments I felt like I knew who I was.

I would definitely say it's a moment of pure silence, a solid minute in your life, when everyone and everything slows down to a pause, you'd have to second look to make sure they're actually moving.

That single minute feels like an entire eternity, slow, cold, and definitely beautiful. As things slowly hover around me, a cold November breeze hit my rough skin, feeling like needles on my numb fingers.

Vapor blocks my sight when a heavy breath leaves my mouth, barely feeling it leave my lips cause I can't feel them, they're cold.

The minute is so long, it makes me question things.

Who am I?

Do I know that? I don't find the answer until my fingers put some weight on the trigger and I press it, a single silver bullet flies before me, but it feels like it's taking hours to cut the flesh of my enemy.

It's so slow, taking long minutes instead of seconds to end someone's life like it usually does, like it's supposed to do.

I can still see it near me, slowly making the distance between us longer. The freezing air hits my face as I squint my eyes and wait for it to make a bloody mess.

It draws itself closer, and closer. Air fills my lungs, after I take a deep breath and let the air settle in my chest for the remaining of the minute. It's not cold like the air in my face, it makes my chest feel warmer.

The warmness of accomplishing something yet again.

I let the air leave my lungs, not feeling empty afterwards at all.

The moment that bullet cut the clothed skin, I know who I am.

I'm Alex, a defender. I'm Ares, I ruin.

Just like how that small bullet will ruin the tight skin of hers.

But it never does. The bullet never touches the skin of my enemy or anywhere near her. My bullet thudded the dusty ground, the low sound of the metal touching the cement echoes through my ears.