Sunday

She had watched her all weekend.

She noticed how she moved around the house as if the past months had never happened; How she had been waking up before her to brew her a perfect cup of coffee, and how she knew what she wanted even before she realized it.

It was like she had never left.

Pouring herself another glass of wine, Maura stared at the now FBI instructor and pondered. This was not the first time it happened. When they met, that's all she could think of, but as their friendship grew, the emotions that were now restarting to become stronger faded away. Still, she had never stopped pondering. It had always been there — the inflammable spark that became scarce and that was sending her into combustion this weekend.

Deciding it would be better for this to be her last glass, the blonde got up to put the wine bottle away.

M: "Another beer?"

J: "I'm good."

Returning to her seat, she noticed Jane had ripped the label from her beer and was now playing with it. She looked relaxed in the corner of the couch, but her expression said otherwise. Sitting down on the other side and stretching her legs towards her friend, the ME wetted her lips, trying to make the thoughts from earlier disappear.

M: "What's wrong?"

J:" I don't know if I made the right choice."

M: "I thought you loved your new job."

J: "I do, but..."

M: "Then, you made the right decision."

J: "I miss you guys."

M: "Moving to a new place is always hard and takes time to adapt, but I'm sure you will make new friends soon. Besides, we will always be here for you."

Smiling, Jane moved a few centimeters so she could place Maura's feet on her lap. Then, she began caressing her ankles before carefully taking her shoes off. There it was...

Licking her lips, the blonde stretched herself to get a hold of her glass in a poor attempt to find a distraction. Taking a long sip, Maura tried not to look at Jane as she kept stroking her feet. She missed this. For some reason, every time they had a tough case, the brunette always ended up doing it. The first time it happened, the ME was complaining about not being able to book a reflexologist on the day, and Jane offered to help...it ended up being better than what any professional could offer. Not only did she get relaxed, but the intimate touch also made her, in some way, feel closer to her friend.

Finishing the drink, much sooner than intended, Maura rested it aside, on the floor, and sighed, frustrated with herself. Jane stopped what she was doing and got up, taking the glass with her.

J: "Gonna get us more drinks."

M: "It's ok. I don't want more wine."

J: "Want a beer?"

M: "You know I can't lie...I shouldn't drink more."

J: "Why not? It's just us. It's not like I haven't seen you drunk before."

Smiling, the brunette popped two beers from the fridge and began opening them.

M: "Can you turn off the lights?"

J: "Yeap!"

Staring at her friend, the blonde felt her cheeks burning as she took the drink from her hand —their fingers coming in contact by mistake and making both smile. Jane really had a beautiful smile...