Dear Mother

Dear Mother,

I am not sure that I understand why Dad loved Avonlea so much. I have never told father, but I wish that we stayed in Charlottetown. I miss my friends and Granny and Gramps. I miss Miss Jo as well. And I liked our old house much better.

But I think the boys all like it here. The twins have made lots of new friends, and Oliver says he likes the country more than the city. Father is happy being close to Grandmother and Grandfather. But I don't think Grandmother likes me very much. She says I'm too similar to you and the twins. And she says that she will have to work hard to make sure that I grow up to be a perfect lady for my husband.

Even though I'm only seven, Grandmother talks about marriage to me lots and lots. I don't think I will be getting married for a long time. But she says I will start liking boys soon enough. But I do not think so. I still think all of them are icky. The ones in Avonlea are not very different from the ones in Charlottetown. Billy Andrews is just as mean as Simon Green. Yesterday at school, I saw him push Moody Spurgeon into the river.

I have made some friends. Father's old friend Mr. Gillis has a daughter named Ruby. She is my age and she introduced me to all her friends. They are very nice to me, and Diana Barry walks part of the way home with me and the boys. Diana is related to Miss Jo. She's the nicest and prettiest in class. She sits with me and she tells me that I'm very smart.

It makes me happy. She is the only person who calls me smart. Except for you.

I love you forever and I miss you lots and lots.

Love, your Bluebell

~ 🍎 ~

Dear Mother,

We did not have school today because of the harvest. Grandfather had jobs for all of us, but I only helped for a little while before Grandmother made me come inside to help her clean and cook. She said that they did not need my help because there were plenty of boys to handle the work. But I had more fun helping with the harvest than I did when I was cleaning and cooking.

Grandmother says that she wants me to learn sewing soon. She is afraid that I will hurt myself with the needle, but she is going to teach me anyway because I need to learn the important skills early on so I will be a proper wife.

I still don't know what a proper wife is. Whenever I ask her, she says it is a woman who is devoted to her husband and who carries out her duties without question. But you told Father to fix his own tea all the time, and he never called you an improper wife.

If I became a wife like you, I do not think Grandmother will be happy. But if I become a wife like she wants me to be, I do not think I will be happy. At least I'm only eight and I have a long time to figure it out.

I love you forever and I miss you lots and lots.

Love, your Bluebell

~ 🍎 ~

Dear Mother,

We visited Charlottetown over the weekend. Granny and Gramps were very excited to see us, and we had a big dinner with them and Miss Jo. It was lots of fun. Granny and Miss Jo took me into town to buy new dresses because they said I am nearly grown out of the ones I have. The dresses are very beautiful. We all think that you would really like them as well. I am very excited to wear them after I grow some more.