Off-Limits

Flora felt undeniably guilty for not walking Anne home that afternoon. But despite having wanted to, she couldn't; Grandmother was always very particular about making up for lost time. Since she left so early this morning, she would no doubt be expected home early for her chores and dinner.

According to Grandmother, young ladies weren't supposed to dawdle. Especially when they had responsibilities at home.

When she and the twins got home, she started with her chores straight away. The day was like every other; she spent all that time doing whatever it was Grandmother asked of her. Tomorrow, she would have to ask ahead of time if she wanted to play with her friends after school. Otherwise, she would be right back here, doing all this again.

Not fun at all. Not like those days back in Charlottetown.

That evening at dinner, Flora's thoughts were still preoccupied with the events from lunchtime. Flora couldn't help noticing that Anne was judged far more harshly than Flora and her brothers ever were when they were new in Avonlea.

It didn't make her feel lucky. It just made her feel incredibly guilty.

"So, how are the Blythes fairing?"

Flora nearly choked on her bread. It was a good thing she didn't, though; she would have been scolded for sure and certain.

"Ah, they're doing well enough. John seemed happy to be home." Grandfather replied. "They say many "thank you's" for the vegetables."

She nodded. "I'm glad to hear it. I plan to pay a visit of my own, soon enough."

Flora cleared her throat weakly. "...Th...They're back..?"

"Returned late this morning." Grandfather had a knowing smile on his face. "Gilbert will be back at school tomorrow."

"...I see." Averting her gaze, Flora returned to her food without another word.

And just like that, she decided she was not looking forward to school tomorrow.

Father turned his attention to the twins and Flora. "So, I trust Mr. Phillips wasn't too hard on any of you today?"

Lucas reached for a bread roll. "Actually, I believe he was too preoccupied to mind any of the rest of us."

"Preoccupied with what?"

The twins shared a glance. Flora knew her brothers very well. Well enough to realize that when they did that, they were keeping things to themselves. And considering the situation, she got the feeling they noticed something she didn't.

Something that could very well be related to what Anne and Diana saw that morning.

"Ah," Liam waved his spoon. "It's not for us to say."

Grandmother furrowed her brows. "Why mention it just to decide not to tell us?"

Lucas shrugged. "I thought we didn't spread gossip in this house?"

Ducking her head down, Flora did her best not to snort. That certainly wasn't something she wanted to do in front of Grandmother.

"...See, Olivia?" Grandfather was unable to fight a chuckle. "Did our son not raise good children who know their manners?"

Grandmother just forced a small smile. "Hm."

Father chuckled, too. "Alright, gossip aside; did anything else happen today?"

"Um, I got to meet Anne Shirley-Cuthbert." Flora said.

Grandmother quirked a brow. "The orphan girl?"