Chapter Two

It wasn't as though Polymare had much of a choice when it came to saving the damned. It was an unconscious instinct that came upon it's own will sometimes. Binding her and clouding her better judgment.

"Do you favor the mistreatment of beings different than you?" She questioned the man as he eyed her, his growing suspicion evident in his furrowing brows.

The power forced within her always surfaced whenever her emotions went astray. It was a dark feeling, one that seemed so overbearing she felt she could suffocate at any moment. A feeling that made her think she could possibly do anything she wished.

So morally wrong, but then, virtuous.

Her grip on the lock tightened, a clear, deep rust spreading across the steel beneath her palm, and evidently, beginning it's aggressive transfer along the rest of the cage. The stymphalian bird jolted, giving a sound of murmuring anguish as it's bondage began to darken with red tenebrosity.

Something hard suddenly pressed against the side of her head, "You're a damned-" the man spoke in a gruff tone, and without moving, Polymare cut her eyes to him in annoyance, "Aren't you?" he demanded.

She gave a soft chuckle before slowly standing, the musket held steady within the man's hands following her as she did. "Are you frightened?" she muttered in question, "I am no damned-"

"Blasphemy!" The man cried, aggressively nudging his gun against her head in anger, "Do not test me, you sin!"

It was in that moment, that bystander eyes began to wander towards the commotion with faces full of fret. A harsh wind blew, the breeze wafting through Polymare's hair and her gaze glowering at the man. There was a resounding snap as the bounded birds jerked, and slowly, more cracks and creaks sprang to life. The sound resonated, the noisy fair's people hushing into quiet alarm.

Four watchmen, drawn by the ruckus of nosed folk, appeared through the gathered crowd, each of their hands gripping the hilt to their sheathed swords, "Wherefore calls all this unrest?" the one in front demanded.

Polymare looked towards the birds once more, noticing only the cage she touched had been victim to her power, and her face fell as long as a fiddle, "One will do," she concluded lowly.

It happened without warning. Giving a shriek, the stymphalian bird tore from the tarnished cage with an aggressive lurch. Small bits of rusted steel shot outwards throughout the crowd, and as the bird flew in a hover to stretch it's wings, the huddle of people around broke out into disorderly panic. The other bird banged loudly against its bondage, but Polymare's eyes could not be torn from the one she had freed.

She was stuck in awe at the sight; having only ever seen the type of creature once during her childhood, and even then, the it was a beautiful eyeful. Her gaping was cut short though when the Watchmen made quick work at swiping their swords at it, the clinging of it's metallic feathers clicking defensively and throwing the crowd into more of a fit of distress.

"You blasted wench!"

There was a loud click, and immediately Polymare reached her hand up to grip the bottom of the man's musket. She swiped it up towards the sky as a shot rang from the barrel of his gun, sending burning pain shooting from her wrist and up her arm. A pitched ringing struck her ears, the sound hammering against her skull.

Screams erupted throughout the space.

She wrestled the gun with one hand from the man, throwing it to the side and glared to it in rage. Their gazes met, but before he could make another attempt to hurt her she sent her foot slamming against his chest. It was a strong kick, hard enough to send him flying into a booth and rendering him limp.