Chapter Three

The pouring rain's downfall quickened with fury, the muddy streets of Caelum pooling with water and guck.

Polymare's feet sloshed loudly with each step. She was soaked, and the rain's unwavering assault did nothing to help the chill that heavily clung to her body.

The sky had darkened ages ago after her escape from the Watchmen, and so Caelum's morning busy bustle was now empty of life and color. Peaceful, quiet and dirty.

"Polymare?" at the familiar call of her name, Polymare's head snapped up and her unfocused gaze zeroed in on the short figure creeping towards her.

Crispin hurried forward, the worry clear as day on his wet face. "What has come upon you?" his small voice shouted over the rain, his tone high and conflicted.

"Why haven't you retired?" Polymare demanded. Her voice cracked harshly, and as a wave of dizziness rushed over her, she staggered a bit to the side.

Crispin was quick to steady her as much as he could, before beginning to drag her through the empty roadways of Caelum. "You weren't there to bid me goodnight," he accused. "Vulpine surfaced."

Her hand clenched over the spot the harpoon had pierced her. The wound was fresh and sticky from the rain, throbbing each time droplets skimmed the surface. Her trembling fingers curled against the puncture. Had he really waited for her despite the hour?

"Your mother must be worried—" Polymare tried, but snapped her mouth shut when Crispin shot her an annoyed look.

Her steps began to lag, faltering unevenly, and it was clear the extra weight was becoming burdensome for Crispin to handle. His little legs shook, his chest huffing but with determined grunts his trembling heave carried forth.

Polymare's vision blurred, a nauseating buzz ringing in her ears. She took another wobbly step only to lose her footing and tip over. The ground was soft, moist and humid from the thundering storm. Her eyes grew heavy, and drawing in a weak breath, she watched her hair mix with the thick mud below her. She could faintly feel Crispin's frantic tugging on her arm, but seconds later, her numbing body became the only prominent feel.

Tired, she was, and so she slept.

                 _____________________

Giving a groggy groan, Polymare's eyes fluttered open with great strain. Immediately her eyelids lowered into a squinch when the bright light of a candle hit her face. She let her vision adjust as the presence of someone sitting at her hip became noticeable.

An ocean blue gaze met hers intently, and dazed, she stared. Paling tan skin, lips the shade of ripe cranberry, and long hair a milky ivory. Brishen was always a sight for sore eyes.

Polymare's lips curved into a small closed mouth grin, a soft blush heating up her cheeks. "Bunny," she greeted lowly.

His bottom lip pulled into his mouth, brows furrowed in a strained expression. She watched him patiently, her fingers feeling along the coverlet beneath her. Brishen was a man of little words, but she had grown used to it.

He suddenly smiled, giving a somewhat defeated sigh. His head dipped towards her, their noses skimming and foreheads bumping gently. Polymare's breath caught in her throat. Her heart beat wildly within her chest, but with clouded eyes, she drew him closer, their lips brushing.

The door banged open with violent force, slamming against the wall and startling both her and Brishen apart. Polymare sprang up, rigid and hot, only to flinch when the sudden movement sent a jolt of pain coursing through her body.