•Chapter 3•

Nightmare expected his brother to do stupid things to 'rehabilitate' them, but this was not what he had originally assumed.

The day started out normally. Dream fed them and attempted to coerce them into doing yoga, but was viciously declined in the form of Horror repeatedly slamming into the magic barrier that trapped them.

However, Dream returned no less than thirty minutes later with a winged girl in tow. Her face was twisted in a deadpan expression and he briefly wondered if that sunshine freak had forced her into it.

Things got interesting when Dream left the room, leaving them alone with the mysterious girl.

Dust was the first to speak. "W h o  the fuck are you?"

"Your new caretaker," she responded, glancing at the door for a brief moment. "For a month, at least."

"Oh goodie, another person to 'fix us'," Dust mocked, grinning maniacally. "It ain't gonna work, bitch. We're too far gone."

The spike of displeasure radiating from her lanky form was interesting. "Excuse me?"

"Don't your ears work?" Surprisingly, it was Killer who spoke next. "Bitch."

She made an indecipherable sighing noise. "I regret this already."

***

The skeletons were terrible. They were vulgar, violently-inclined, and generally unpleasant to be around. You were beginning to seriously regret agreeing to Ink's proposal.

There was one skeleton - Nightmare, as he was called - that interested you. He hadn't spoken a word since you'd shown up, yet he seemed to command the whole room with his presence alone.

You wouldn't let him control you. Not now or ever.

Moving said skeletons to their new home was a wholly unpleasant experience. Despite physically complying, they made it abundantly clear your efforts were, and would never, not appreciated.

Is it too late to back out? You were beginning to see why the star sanses disliked them so much - simply existing in their presence was a fucking nightmare (no pun intended).

The pocket you'd created for them was guarded by a barrier, making teleportation impossible. Only Nightmare was capable of inter-void travel, but him escaping was the second worst thing to them all escaping.

Dream offered you a weary smile once the pocket's entrance closed behind Nightmare, sealing him and his crew inside. "we really appreciate this, (y/n). i know we didn't give you much of a choice, but thank you."

You sighed and offered him a small smile. "Don't mention it, but... what happens now?"

"WELL," Blue piped up. "WE WERE THINKING OF COMING BY ONCE A MONTH TO CHECK THEIR PROGRESS."

"Progress? In what, being alone in a 3D picture?" The words left your mouth before you could stop them. "I don't see how that would help in the slightest."

Ink cleared his nonexistent throat. "Part of your role as a caretaker would be to, y'know," If he says what I think he's going to say... "Talk to them."

He didn't... Oh, you were pissed. "You..." you glared at the three of them individually. Blue and Dream both had the decency to look ashamed, though Ink's expression remained unchanged. "You mean to tell me that I don't just have to watch them, but be their darn therapist, too?!"

"Uh..." Blue averted his eyesights nervously. Dream's hands fidgeted with themselves as he also avoided eye contact. "Well, We Thought... You Would Be Alright With It."

Of course you did, you thought snidely, crossing your arms across your chest. Frustration bubbled in your gut, threatening to erupt. The fact that they were expecting even more from you, especially after coercing you into even agreeing to the idea, was nearly incomprehensible.

"A-ARE YOU MAD?" Blue's expression was one of shameful regret.

A spark of satisfaction shot through you. Good.

But...

Something tugged at your SOUL, though you knew not what it was. A remnant of childish curiosity poking your very being with the determination of an adult.

Perhaps...

"(Y/N)?"

The curiosity won. You didn't know how or why, but it did. The feeling wormed through you veins like a willing parasite.

Strangely, I have no complaints.

You uncrossed your arms with a tired sigh. The three skeletons stared at you, awaiting your imminent anger. Even Ink knew he'd gone too far.

It never came. There was no anger.

"Just... Just this once."

***

Hello, my lovely readers! Make sure to comment and vote if you enjoy the story. I really appreciate it :)