Chapter 22

After their time with Salamander and Sunbeam, Fennec had suggested that they go see Midnight, an assumed animus, about finding a way to help them destroy Pearl's staff. Fennec had told Sahara that she found out about Midnight through the RainWings. They explained to her how to find the animus and what you had to do. The RainWings said that when they get to Midnight, he'll ask for some coins before he can assist you. So, Sahara was grateful that Hail had decided to stuff a lot of silver and gold coins into her pouch.

Instead of heading the way towards the RainWing part of the village, Fennec took her towards the NightWing part. But, before they got to the tunnel, Fennec stopped before a large tree. The tree had smooth, gray-ish colored bark and bright green leaves that made up the canopy. On the tree's trunk was a wooden sign that read: "Open". Sahara didn't quite understand where Midnight's building would be, but she saw a narrow pathway that led through the trees.

Walking down the path, more wooden signs were posted on each side. Some had lists of what you could ask Midnight or a list of the different things he sold. At the end of the pathway, was a large, wooden building. There were two windows on either side of the door and flower pots lined the front. A fur mat that said "Welcome" was positioned in front of the dark brown door.

Fennec knocked on the door and after a few seconds, a dragon opened it. The RainWing had mostly dark gray scales and underscales. His left, front talon, however, was white. Some of his scales were green and cyan above his head and down to his tail. Even some spots on his underbelly were light orange. "Ah, hello." he greeted. His aquamarine eyes studied both of them with curiosity. "What can I do for you two SandWings today?"

"You're Midnight, right?" Fennec asked.

"The one and only." Midnight chuckled.

"Great! My name is Fennec, and this is Sahara. We were wondering if you could help us with a very important task."

Midnight tilted his head slightly as a smile crept up his face. "Is that so?"

"Yep. We need your help to find a way to destroy Pearl's staff."

Sahara watched as Midnight's expression brightened in an instant. She wondered just how money-hungry he truly was.

"Well, that's quite a job." Midnight rubbed his chin in thought. "I'm assuming you will be able to pay for my services?"

"We will." Fennec nodded slowly. "But only if you agree to help us."

Midnight nodded and opened the door to its full length. "Of course. Come in and we'll talk."

Entering the building, Sahara looked around at everything Midnight had. To her left was a large table with strange symbols carved into it. There were also cards and glasses filled with green liquid on the table's surface. To her right was a chest with a scroll rack above it. Several open scrolls were lying on the floor, as if Midnight had been using them prior to their arrival. And finally, in front of them, were shelves upon shelves of potions. Each had a label attached to it and Sahara even found a few with labels displaying pictures of dragon skulls on them. She shivered at the fact that those few potions might be poisons.

Midnight walked over to his strange table and sat down on a small leaf patch. He put his front talons on the symbols carved into it and flicked his tail. "Come sit," he beckoned. "Please."

Fennec passed Sahara an uneasy glance and they both joined Midnight on the other side of the table. Once they were settled, Midnight closed his eyes and muttered some words under his breath. As he did so, some of the symbols on the table began to glow. Fennec pointed at the table in shock and Sahara could only nod. She was also extremely surprised. Midnight was chanting something they couldn't understand, plus he was making the table glow. While he was an animus, Sahara wasn't sure whether this was coming from his magic or not. No wonder he charges a price for his services.