part three: the dawn of Smaug

When we both found our way back to the city again I saw nothing but fire, houses, columns, bouts, even the clock tower. Everything was burning in orange and yellow flames.

I took off from Legolas' horse and fell on my knees. It's over now, Smaug did this, he finally burned the city of human beings to ashes.

Tears filled my eyes as I felt two strong arm around my body, I closed my eyes, putting my head to his chest for comfort. My heart was about to give up when suddenly something attracted my attention.

It was a body, a big one between the flames. I stood up and focused on the view again. I wasn't wrong, it was him, it was Smaug, his dead body was laying on ground between his own flames.

I stood up immediately, Legolas' arms fell to my sides as I started running down from the hills. He called my name but I didn't turn around, I just ran as fast as I could.
Legolas tried his chance one more time one more time then he started following my lead.

My knees hit the hot floor once again, they were a lot of wreckage on his breathless body but the figure was as clear as day.

I moved two hot blocks away with my bare hands and cleared the way to the big, golden dragon.

Bending beside his head and put my palm on his rough skin.
" Smaug?"
There was no answer, I don't know why the flares of hope was still shining in my heart even though a part of me already knew it was over.

"Smaug? Please..."
Nothing.
"Father, please, I'm sorry."
I yelled, tears got my face wet. So many unspoken words laid down between us. I never called him father when he was alive but he was the closest thing I had to a parent. Closest thing that I lost soon. I knew I was unworthy to beg for forgiveness, the exact reason why I never came back. This wasn't supposed to happen, dragons aren't creatures of giving up yet here we are, kneeling beside Smaug with his eyes closed and his heart that never going to beat again.

"Please... wake up....I'm sorry."
I said under my breath. I shall let go. I shall accept the dragon I knew as a father is dead therefore I can't even apologize. Though it wasn't an easy action to do.

"I'm sorry."
I said again and kissed his head while my eyes closed. I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Legolas, he was worried, I could've noticed from his eyes.

I looked back at the dragon once more and took off my necklace slowly. I clenched it between my fingers one more time then just put it on his unbelievably cold claws.

"I'll never forget about you."
My smile appeared sadly while Legolas kept a hold of my hand. He guided me to the outside of a place we called city that happened to be a pile of ashes right now.

I leaned against him, my dress was tearing apart and the half of my cape got burned.
My face was dirty and my hair was messy, you could've notice that I'm tired from even with a look in my eyes but he, he was as amazing as the first time we've met.
He was neat and clean and even his outfit was completely intact.

I smiled through my thoughts, it was a small curved lips of interest this time.
" What?"
He asked, I rose my head to lock him in the eyes.
" Nothing, it's just, I'm glad that you're here, with me. Keeping my company in a situation like this...it just means a lot."

He smiled and pressed my hand between his fingers. I felt the heat on my palm, a fortunate, satisfied heat that warmed a path to my frozen heart.

"Me too, I know how hard it is to lose a parent, but don't hesitate on me, I'm going to be there for you every time you needed."
I nodded in agreement, of course he will.
"Yes, thank you, now c'mon, we have a couple of mind-wrecked dwarves to reach."
He chuckled as we both walked to his horse, possibly hand in hand.