nineteen|taking time

AMBER JACKSON—AUGUST

JUST AS I BEGAN folding some of Riley's clothes before going to sleep, my phone began to vibrate from where it was lying on my nightstand. Rushing over, I picked it up and checked the screen to see that Wesley was calling me.

It had been hours since Riley's grandmother had left and I could tell that her arrival had messed with Wesley. For someone who was usually fairly talkative—or at least he was that way with me—he had very few words after she left and had closed himself off in the gym. However, him calling me was a surprise, especially because I hadn't even known that he had possibly left the house. That's the only reason I could figure he was calling me.

"Hello?" I questioned hesitantly. Wesley and I rarely called or texted each other, usually only needing to do so when it was absolutely necessary, which was why I was nervous as to what he would say.

"Are you up to talk?" He questioned, his voice even deeper and raspier at this time of night and over the phone. "I know it's late."

"Sure," I replied almost instantly. "You can maybe help me fold some of Riley's clothes too."

"Sounds fun," he chuckled dryly. "I'll be there in a moment."

As soon as he hung up, I quickly rushed to my bathroom and looked myself up and down in the full length mirror. Luckily for me, I was dressed in a pair of lounge shorts and a large T-shirt, which didn't need much manipulation. My hair on the other hand was a different story. Quickly, I grabbed my pick and added some volume to my braid-out. Remembering that he was just down the hall, I rushed out of the bathroom as soon as a knock sounded at my door.

Pretending I had been folding clothes the entire time, I took a seat on the edge of my bed and picked up a few onesies as I told him to come in. As soon as he stepped over the threshold, I knew my strength would be put to the test tonight. The wife-beater and sweatpants he wore showed off enough of his body to have me blushing. Even better, it was clear to me as he took a seat on the bed that he had just gotten out of the shower—his hair was damp and he smelled impossibly good.

"What'd you want to talk about?" I questioned him once he was settled and beginning to fold as well.

"Anything. Anything other than what happened today and everything with Henri. I just need...a break."

I sucked in a breath, glad that we seemed to be on the same page because those were quite honestly the last topics I wanted to talk about, but I was open to doing so if he had wanted to. At the same time however, we both did need breaks from all the happenings in our everyday lives at this point.

"If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?" I questioned as I dropped a pile of clothing between us on the bed and we began to fold.

He bit down on his bottom lip in contemplation and I had to tear my gaze away as a swarm of butterflies filled my belly. Just watching him do that—even for a split second—had me thinking back to each and every time his lips touched mine and how good it was each time.

"Here," he finally answered, staring at me intently as he gauged my reaction. Luckily for me, the room was dark and he couldn't see the redness covering my brown cheeks. "Even after what happened today, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Contrary to popular belief, I like spending time with you and Riley."

I playfully rolled my eyes at his little joke, acting as if he wasn't making my heart pound in my chest and as if it didn't feel at least a hundred degrees hotter in the room.

"What about you?"

Covering my mouth with my hand, I stifled my laugh as I shook my head at him. "I was going to say Aruba, but your answer puts mine to shame."