Chapter 1

My name is Sophie. I just turned twenty years old this last May. I live in the woods with my older brother, Jared. He's twenty-five years old. We share the same blonde hair, blue eyed appearance. Our parents passed away in a car wreck last year. We've been alone ever since. But I'm never lonely. As long as I have my big brother. I smile while cooking dinner. Humming a tune I heard on the television this afternoon. I look at the clock on the wall. Just after six o'clock.

"Big Brother!" I call out.

I wait, hearing nothing. Maybe he couldn't hear me. I set the table, getting everything ready. Once I'm done, I stand back and look at the food display.

"Perfect." I turn on my heel, rushing up the stairs. I go straight to his room and knock three times. I tap my foot a moment, becoming more and more impatient.

"I'm coming in." Turning the doorknob, I open it to a dark room. I flip the switch. Empty. Where could he have gone?

"Hey!" I jump startled by the sudden loud voice. I spin around to find Jared behind me.

"You scared me! Where we're you?"

"Bathroom. Is dinner ready yet?" I nod and hurry down the stairs.

"Ta-Da!" I sit down and make a plate for him first then myself. I have the biggest proud grin on my face. I can't wait to see his reaction when he tries it. He sits down and thanks me for the food. He takes a bite. I bite my lip in anticipation. He looks up meeting my eyes. His eyes light up.

"Sophie, you've outdone yourself. It's delicious."

"I'm so happy you like it." I say happily.
We dig in without much talking. He finishes first. I don't mention that the recipe was one of our mother's. I know he loved her cooking. I've been practicing to replicate it. I watch as he goes to the sink and starts washing dishes. I have an odd feeling suddenly. Like we're being watched. I look over at the open curtain. I don't see anything. It could've been my wild imagination.

"Jared?" I say, getting his attention. He stops to look at me. Worry on his face.

"Sophie, what's wrong?"

"I feel like...like I'm being watched."

Without a second thought, he opens the pantry door. Pulling out his metal baseball bat. It's a dark blue bat with the words 'Emergency Only' written down it. Jared thought it was funny. He has an odd sense of humor sometimes. Living out here by ourselves, we've had our fair share of bad people showing up trying to trick us. We never fall for their lame attempts. They give up and leave us alone. I quickly stand up and get behind Jared.

"Movement going right." He points out. That's towards the front door. We have four locks on it. There's light knocking on the door. Jared slowly creeps to the window. He closes the curtain quickly. The knocking continues. I hide against the wall while Jared looks through the peephole. His eyes widen. I hear wolves howling in the distance. They're close. I hurry and grab the doorknob. Jared grabs my wrist. I look up at him.

"What are you doing?" He asks, panic clear in his voice.

"What if they're hurt? We can't just leave them out there, Jared! Not if we can do something to help!"

We have a stare down. I know I've won this argument when his grip on my wrist loosens. He drops his hand. I quickly turn the doorknob and I was not expecting to see that on the porch.

~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

This is my first story I've ever published. I love to read/write fanfiction & my own stories. But I don't usually publish them.
This story will be from Sophie's perspective. I don't think I'll switch POVs.

Tell me what you think.

This is Jared.