Chapter 2

I quickly turn the doorknob and I was not expecting to see that on the porch.

It's a huge black and white wolf. He's laying down, panting really hard. He might be hurt. The poor guy has snow falling off his fur. I step out, but I'm instantly grabbed around the waist. I look back and I'm being held back by Jared.

"Let go of me. He's hurt." I say sternly, trying hard not to get mad at him. He opens his mouth to speak, but the wolf suddenly whimpers. Jared's arm drops instantly, allowing me to get a closer look at the wolf.

I fall to my knees next to the wolf and begin inspecting his body for any wounds. I found the injury. It's a large claw mark. Maybe from another wolf, maybe even a bear? It's hard to tell for sure. Living out here in the middle of nowhere. There's all kinds of wild animals roaming. Especially at night.

"Can you roll onto your other side?" I ask the wolf calmly. It's ear twitches and slowly tries moving. I brace him with my other hand. I look up at Jared. His jaw dropped to the floor.

"Jared, what are you doing?" He shakes his head. Like he can't believe what he's seeing.

"That wolf listened to you. That can't happen. It's a wolf!" I roll my eyes at his overreacting. "I need bandages. You can stare at him later."

Jared turns around, rushing back into the house. I pet the wolf's head while staring out into the trees. It's almost too dark to see at this hour. I definitely feel like I'm being watched now. There is no denying it. If there's footprints in the snow, I might be able to figure out who was knocking and where they went. Someone knocked on it. It couldn't be the wolf. It sounded like a human hand. Someone could've knocked for him. I look down at the wolf. But why didn't they stay to help? Wouldn't they be concerned for their friend? So many questions and not enough answers. I look down and the wolf is staring at me. I blink.

"It'll be alright soon, promise. I'll help you in any way I can." He nods at me and makes a small sound like he's agreeing with me. I smile.

Jared finally comes back outside.

"Are you cold, Sophie? Let's bring him inside first before treating him." I look at him like he has four heads and a tail. Finally, my brother has a good idea. I look down at the wolf. It wouldn't hurt to ask first.

"Would you like to go inside first?" I wait as his ears twitch. He nods at me. He can understand me! That definitely helps. I stand up first.

"Help me with his other side." We get the wolf standing and slowly walk him into the house. I take him into the living room near the fireplace. Jared closes the door, handing me a blanket. I get to work. Slowly cleaning his wound, getting the blood and snow out of his fur. I bandage around his stomach. He lowers his head as if bowing in thanks.

"Are you alright?" I ask the wolf. He looks up, meeting my gaze. He nods.

"I'm glad. I'm going upstairs to change, but I'll be back down. You can rest here by the fire." He nods again.

I stand up, walking to the stairs. Jared walks off towards the kitchen. I get to the bathroom. I take a quick shower to warm up from being outside. I dry my hair. I change into a pair of black leggings and a long sleeved purple shirt. I step out of the bathroom and go straight for my bedroom. I grab some socks and slide them on quickly. I hurry back downstairs. I turn the corner and the wolf's head perks up. It's tail slightly wagging. I giggle, sitting down next to him. I start petting him down his back as I listen to the fire crackle. I yawn.

"You should go to bed." A voice suddenly says.

I rub at my eyes and stretch.

"I think I should go to bed." I see the clock on the wall. Midnight. I stand up and cover the wolf up with the blanket. He's fast asleep. I get up the stairs, pulling back the covers. I get in bed and fall asleep soon after my head touches the pillow.

I wake up to a quiet banging sound. Like someone is in the kitchen shutting cabinets. I quickly stand, sneaking over to my bedroom door. I look at my little digital clock. It's only six o'clock in the morning. I open the door and there's a sticky note at my eye level on the wall.

"Went to town, be back later, Jared."

If it's not Jared. Then who the heck is in our house? I sneak to the staircase, listening. I hear a cabinet open. Where's the wolf? He's not hurt, is he?

I rush down the stairs, turning the corner. I come face to face with a boy my age, just having a blanket tied around his waist. That's the blanket I gave the wolf last night.

"Who are you?" I ask curiously. He looks down at the cereal box in his hand then looking towards the front door. Is he trying to decide on staying or running away?

"Don't leave. Your safe here. Do you need help?" I ask him calmly.

"My name is Blaine. You saved my life and I'm grateful. Just let me eat and I'll be on my way." He sets the cereal box down on the counter. He starts opening cabinets. I flip on the light switch to get a better look at him. He has shaggy black hair with white tips. His eyes a light shade of green.

He said I saved him. But when did I-!

"Wolf!" I yell, pointing at him.

~~~~~~~~~~