vii. grace family values (please don't renew them)

"oh.. you are in so much trouble."

gale didn't expect frank to be his personal alarm clock. he could've sworn a second ago it was still night out and he and percy were under the blanket talking, but it seemed like that was wrong, as his eyes felt slightly heavy and harsh sunlight poured through the windows.

he'd seen frank surrounded by cannibal ogres, facing down an unkillable giant, and even unleashing thanatos, the god of death. but he'd never seen frank look as terrified as he did now, finding the two of them passed out in stables.

"what...?" percy rubbed his eyes. "oh, we just fell asleep."

frank swallowed. he was dressed in running shoes, dark cargo pants, and a vancouver winter olympics t-shirt with his roman centurion badge pinned to the neck (which seemed either sad or helpful to gale, now that they were renegades). frank averted his eyes as if the sight of them together might burn him.

"everyone thinks you've been kidnapped," he said. "we've been scouring the ship. when coach hedge finds out— oh, gods, you've been here all night?"

"frank!" gale said, his face growing hot. "we just came down here to talk. we accidentally fell asleep. that's all."

"kissed a couple times."

"don't listen to him."

"we'd better..." frank pointed to the stable doors. "uh, we're supposed to meet for breakfast. would you explain what you did— i mean, didn't do? i mean.. i really don't want that faun— i mean satyr— to kill me."

he ran.

when everyone finally gathered in the mess hall, it wasn't quite as bad as frank feared. jason and piper were mostly relieved, though jason narrowed his eyes at percy. leo couldn't stop grinning and muttering, "classic. classic." arcana couldn't stop giggling even if her life depended on it. annabeth gave percy an incredulous look. only hazel seemed scandalized, maybe because she was from the 1940s. she kept fanning her face and wouldn't meet either of their eyes.

of course, coach hedge went ballistic. gale didn't really expect anything less.

"never in my life!" he bellowed, waving his bat and knocking over a plate of apples. "against the rules! irresponsible!"

"coach," gale said, slightly embarrassed, "it was an accident. we were talking and fell asleep."

"besides," percy said, "you're starting to sound like terminus."

hedge narrowed his eyes. "is that an insult, jackson? 'cause i'll—i'll terminus you buddy!

percy tried not to laugh. "it won't happen again, coach. i promise. now, don't we have other things to discuss?"