night terror trope 😏

march 27th, 2022

short story ig

I'm woken up to the sound of her crying. I look at the clock.
2:47 AM
I look at her again, Seeing her face wet with tears. I start lightly touching her arm. trying not to scare her, "Y/N your okay it's just me. You're safe, open your eyes for me love, it's just a dream. Your just dreaming."letting her know I'm here.

She starts screaming as she jerks up onto the bed now in a sitting position. Her breath coming out hard and fast. I look at her for a second and realized that she has her legs dangling over the bed and she's doubled over and still breathing hard.

i start quietly moving behind her. i see that she has started to scratch her arms and shake from tears and anxiety so i take her arms in my hands and wrap them around her.

"Y/n, y/n listen to me love. it's just you and me in here. no one else. it was a dream." i take one of my hands and start rubbing it up and down her back in hopes to calm her down. she stopped has stopped scratching her arms and she has started to sag into me from exhaustion.

she's still breathing hard and there's tears streaming down her face. "Breathe y/n. come here. let's sit up against the bed okay?" so i start to grab her gently and pull her between my legs as my back is up against the headboard. i start rubbing my hand up and down her arm. "come back to me love. listen to my voice. what are 5 things you see right now?"

i read somewhere on the internet that doing the "54321" thing helps people with panic attacks so i'm praying to god that this works.

i hear her rasp, "the lamp, the bed," she tries to take a breath, "your legs, my socks and my hands." she finishes "okay love you're doing great, what are 4 things you feel?" i still feel her still hyperventilating and i wrap my arms tighter around her for pressure.

"is this helping? do you like the pressure or do you want me to move baby?" i ask.
"no no squeeze tighter." she says still out of breath. i squeeze her tighter and start going back to the 54321 method, "okay what are 4 things you feel?"
"your arms, the blanket, my heartbeat and my hands shaking." she says.

"okay now, what are 3 things you hear?"
i feel her breathing start to pick up again, "come on baby come back to me. listen to my voice. Breathe. you can do it. you're okay. you're here with me."

she starts breathing a bit more normal but still way too fast for my liking. "now, what are 3 things you hear?"
"the air vents, my breathing and your voice."
"okay love that was great. what's 2 things you smell?"
i feel her breathing start to slow more.

" sweat and your minty breath." she says, releasing a exhale of relief.
"okay love one more. what's one thing you taste?" i ask.
"blood" she says. she slowly starts to droop into me and i feel her breathing slow.

"there you go baby. you're okay. it's okay. keep breathing like you are now." i say as i wipe away some of her tears. once her breaths start to go back to normal i ask, "what do you mean you taste blood love?" i ask slightly concerned.

"when these happen, i bite the inside of my cheek, and i guess i did it too hard this time." she says her voice cracking a bit.
"that's okay love, why don't i start you a bath yeah? it'll make you feel better."

"okay" is all she says. i start sitting up a bit more but she's still clinging to my arms wrapped around her for fear of me letting her go. "okay let me just sit up and i'll carry you."

she doesn't even really have to move. i just move enough to where she's now laying in my arms like she was when i carried her up here earlier tonight. i set her on the toilet while i let the water for the bath run. "are you going to tell me what that was about?" i ask.
"no." she says. "how did you even know how to calm me down anyways?" she asks.