14

FOURTEEN

The days seemed to go by slower for Paxton, especially now that he was bound to an endless routine of nothingness and spare time. After his injury at Crazy Devi's party, he hadn't left the heap of dirty laundry and wrappers unless it were for school; his only form of leisure.

The free time was fun at first, doing nothing and still being pampered and showered with attention. But the thrill had worn off now and he found it growing increasingly tedious. For the last few hours he had been slouched on his couch, staring aimlessly at the blaring screen while shooting darts at the target and embarrassingly missing each and every time.

He was bored out of his mind.

And when boredom struck, he found himself getting forcibly immersed into his thoughts. Thinking and thinking and thinking. And he hated it; more than his ghastly cast,more than crazy Devi right now, more than him not being able to swim or the gloominess that flood through him like a current.

He thought and when Paxton thought, he thought too much, scrutinising his every shortcomings- or at least the ones he believed attributed him. And that too with great conviction.

It was an incessant cycle and ones that seemed to leave him feeling less and less like himself than the last time. It was an uncanny sort of emptiness, one that he had never before felt the weight of.

But now he did and there was nothing he could do. And then suddenly his phone lights up and for a moment he pauses, a pathetic sort of light that flickers meekly in his chest. And then it buzzed again. And again. And again.

Zoe ❤️
iMessage
5 new messages

Disappointment sinks to his stomach, lining his gut like lead and he taps the notification unenthusiastically, a part of me wishing she would just leave him alone, dammit.

Zoe ❤️

iMessage now
Can I come over, rlly want to spend time with you

iMessage 1m
And I just feel like I don't matter as much to you the way I used to.

iMessage 1m
We haven't really spoken much in the last few days.

iMessage 2m
u ok? How's ur arm

iMessage 3m
Hi pax

Paxton rolls his eyes, annoyance sweeping through him like a gust of wind as he sends a fleeting glance to her previous messages, noticing only 'I don't matter.'

It was hardly his fault she felt like she didn't matter to him, of course she mattered. They'd been together for ages, almost a year now. And she still questioned their relationship. Always expecting an explanation when it was just common sense.

< 25 ⚪️ 🎥

Zoe❤️

Today 17:27

Hi pax

U ok? Hows ur arm