Rules & Password

Like any community or contest, there needs to be a set of rules in place. I feel as though we made ourselves pretty clear in our FAQ about what we're about and what isn't allowed but this is a way to be even more direct.

1. Do not bully or harass us, The Poetree House, for not being featured. Competition can be hard and please do not be discouraged. Keep submitting your poems to us! We love and look forward to reading all your work. On top of this, don't bully or harass the winners. Everything is subjective and the results don't determine your worth as a poet. Let them enjoy their win and treat everyone with the kindness they deserve.

2. Please follow our account to be kept up to date with announcements and results. We don't want you missing out on any potential hold ups or not seeing the fruit of your own labor. It also helps to add this book to any of your reading lists.

3. Thoughtful discussion is always allowed but please be civil towards one another. There are so many opinions in this world and the world is already such a cruel place at times, why waste time arguing? Have open conversations about the contest itself so we know what might need changed or about the work featured -- just don't be rude.

4. We have stated mature content is allowed, to some extent. Sexuality or sex are topics that are allowed as long as you're not crude and don't make them vulgar. Make sure to read the FAQ about mature entries. You are allowed to discuss topics such as depression, anxiety, mental illness, trauma, or facing oppression. We do not accept poems promoting self-harm or suicide, ones that promote eating disorders, or poems that invalidate the existence and rights of minorities. Hate speech, threats, intense violence, or content that's homophobic, sexist, transphobic, racist, and etc. are not allowed under any conditions. The use of curse words is allowed. If unsure about your submission, message us. 

5. Entries, at this moment, will only be accepted in English. If we get a judge who speaks another language, we will edit this rule and make sure more submissions can be accepted. 

6. A person cannot win the grand prize twice in a row. We want to give attention to many different poets. However, they can be chosen for honorary mention.

7. You must be patient with the prompts being posted and the rewards being given. We are only human, and we all have things in our lives that also need addressed. New prompts should be posted into the first week of a month and run into the last day of the month. Late submissions will not be accepted. Rewards should be given in the span of two weeks at most but normally in less than one week. There will only be 30 submissions accepted into a prompt with a minimum of 5. If you post after the 30th submission, you will not be considered. 

8. The password is your favorite poet. We put this password into play as proof you read the rules and FAQ. You will need this password for your submission.

9. Submissions must include your username, the password, and your poem. If you have mature content, have a poem too long for the comment section, or are uncomfortable with your poetry being in the comment section - please comment on the current prompt with just your username, password, and reason for your poem to be in our inbox instead. When you message us with your poem, clarify to us the prompt you're entering to make sure you're up to date with the current prompt. You can only submit one poem. To be considered, you must follow the prompt. If you are a judge on the panel for The Poetree House, you can't make any submission. 

If you violate these rules, you can be excluded from The in the Trees Awards whether that be temporarily or permanently. We will message you first as a chance to resolve the issue before resulting to that so don't worry. By submitting your poem, that is an agreement towards the above rules.