CHAPTER 25: Heart Aflame

“Pupunta ba jowa mo?” Mama Geraldine asked.

“He told me that he’s coming, but he is still not here. I guess he changed his mind. I don’t know,” I replied, my voice filled with sadness.

Who wouldn’t be sad? He told me he’s coming, but he’s still not here, and the show will start in 30 minutes!

“Hayaan mo na. Baka may emergency kaya hindi siya makakapunta,” she said, taking the dress from Crisanta and handing it to me. I immediately took it. “Magbihis ka na. Ayos lang iyan. Thirty minutes pa naman bago magsimula, e. Malay mo dumating pa.”

I nodded and headed to the dressing room to change. I understand if he couldn’t come, but what I didn’t understand was why he hasn’t been answering my calls and texts. It was frustrating. After changing, I returned to Mama G. She stood up right away and fixed my dress.

“Crisanta,” I called her.

“Yes, Madam?” she responded immediately.

“Can you check if nasa labas na si Gin?” utos ko sa kanya.

“Sure, Madam!”

After saying that, she bowed and left to follow my instructions. When she disappeared from my sight, I posed and forced a smile for the photographer to take pictures. Afterwards, I sat down and waited for Crisanta to return. Finally, she arrived. I stood up and approached her.

“So? Did you see him?” I quickly asked.

Umiling siya. “Hindi, Madam, e,” sagot niya.

My shoulders slumped upon hearing that. Disheartened, I returned to my seat. I remained quiet until we were called to line up because the show was about to start. As usual, I was at the front.

I took a deep breath, smiled, and confidently walked onto the stage. I scanned the audience, but I couldn’t find him. I felt disappointed, but thankfully, I managed to keep smiling until I returned backstage. They quickly approached me to retouch my makeup and help me change my outfit. I was emotionless, and Crisanta must have noticed that.

“Bakit ang lungkot mo, Madam?” tanong niya sa akin dahilan para mapatigil si Mama G sa pag-aayos ng sapatos ko at bumaling na rin sa akin.

Kumunot ang noo ni Mama G nang makita ang pagmumukha ko. “Anong mukha iyan, Zendaya?” aniya. “Cheer up! So what if he didn’t come? Hindi naman niya hawak ang legs mo kaya makakarampa ka kahit wala siya!”

“Oo nga naman, Madam. At saka, hindi naman ito ang huling fashion show mo. Meron pang susunod. Puwede siyang manood sa susunod. Baka kasi may emergency siya,” sabi naman ni Crisanta.

Pilit na ngumiti ako sa kanila. “Thank you.” After saying that, I joined the line as the last model returned. I pushed away my thoughts and started strutting. I didn’t bother looking for him in the audience and just posed in the center.

For the last time, I glanced at the audience. My heart jumped in shock when I caught sight of familiar eyes. I was dumbfounded. Thankfully, he signaled for me to continue, so I walked back towards the backstage with a wide smile on my lips.

“Abot-tainga ang ngiti, ah!”

“He’s here!” I happily announced to them.

Kumunot ang noo ni Mama Geraldine. “Are you sure? Baka naman hindi talaga siya iyon? Napagkamalan mo lang na siya sa kakaisip mo sa kanya?”

When it was my turn again, I immediately searched the audience for him since he wasn’t in his previous spot, just to confirm if it was really him. But I couldn’t find him. Maybe Mama G was right. Maybe I was just deluding myself. After posing, I walked back to the backstage. I froze in place when I saw him laughing with Mama G and Crisanta!

“Gin?”

He turned to me after I called his name. A wide smile appeared on his lips. He excused himself from the conversation to come closer to me.

“Totoo nga ang balita. May boyfriend nga si Zendaya,” dinig kong bulong ng isang model.

“In fairness, ang pogi!”

I ignored them and focused on Gin as he approached me.

“I thought you wouldn’t come,” I said as he was nearing.

“I am very sorry. I was late. I had an emergency. Uh, the witness had a mild stroke and fell during the trial. Luckily, someone managed to catch her so . . . she was saved. She’s currently in the hospital now. I went there to check on her condition,” he explained. “I almost didn’t make it. Thankfully, I did. I was late, though.”

I smiled at him. “It’s fine, Gin. At least you came. Late or not, it doesn’t matter,” I said, then I gave him a kiss on the lips.

“Sana all! When kaya?” malakas na sabi ni Mama Geraldine kaya napahiwalay kami sa isa’t isa. “Gumising na lang yata ako para mag-“sana all” at mag-“when kaya?” pagpapatuloy niya dahilan para matawa kami ni Gin.

I bid them farewell, saying I just needed to change. They agreed, so I headed to the dressing room. After changing, I tied my hair as I was sweating. I adjusted my discarded dress and walked back to them.

“Akin na iyan, Madam.”

Kinuha ni Crisanta ang bitbit ko at ibinigay ko naman iyon sa kanya.

“Tara na. Kating-kati na ang lalamunan ko mag alak, e! Ang tagal ko ng hindi nakakainom. Mga three days na,” aya ni Mama G.

“Wait,” I stopped her. She halted and looked at me. She glanced at Gin before returning her gaze to me. “I can’t go with you guys,” I said

“Why?” Gin asked.

“Because you wouldn’t allow me,” I replied.

He furrowed his brow. “Who said that?”

“No one. I just predicted it.”

He chuckled. “It’s okay, Zendaya. You can drink as long as you want. Just be responsible.”