Chapter 11

"Sorry for being late." Hanae pulled out a chair.

"No worries. We didn't wait long." Yahiro smiled as he passed the menu to her. "I recommend their English breakfast."

"Sounds good." Hanae stared at the menu and nudged Natsuki's arm. "Want to share it with me?"

"Sure thing," Natsuki called out to the waiter and ordered their food.

After the waiter left, Natsuki broke the silence first. "Wow, this reminds me of us going to the ramen shop after school."

Hanae smiled. "I wonder if the shop's still running."

"The one near the tuition? It's still there." Yahiro put his chin on his hand.

"That's right! Both of you went to the same tuition." Natsuki exclaimed.

"Yeah, which you didn't go because you're too lazy to." Hanae looked at Natsuki.

"Well, I don't need to." Natsuki laughed. "I'm smart."

"...Regrettably, can't argue with that." Hanae rolled her eyes. "But so are you Kiyoshi."

"I went there just to kill time. It's better than to study alone."

Natsuki patted Yahiro's shoulder. "That's the model student for you."

Yahiro laughed. "Don't call me that."

Hanae raised an eyebrow. "I thought you like being called one. Even the teachers love you."

"You want to know the truth?" Natsuki put his hand around Yahiro's neck. "This guy likes to be praised."

"Now you make it seem like I was narcissistic."

"You kinda were,'' Natsuki laughed. "Remember how you used to secretly play video games in my house?"

A sheepish smile tugged at Yahiro's lips as he raked his fingers through his hair. "Yeah, and I even lied to my mom saying that I was studying at your house."

"My whole family trusts you so much they didn't even barge into my room to check up on me."

"You were thankful to me though." Yahiro glanced at Hanae who let out a small laugh. "...Asahina?"

Hanae put her hand over her mouth. "Sorry, it's just too unexpected."

"I know, right? Thank god that phase is over," Natsuki laughed.

Yahiro smiled helplessly as the two kept on teasing him.

A couple of minutes later, a waitress came and placed their food on the table.

"....that's a big portion," Hanae glanced at Natsuki. "We're sharing this right?"

"...I'll try." Natsuki sighed as he looked at the food placed between him and Hanae. He wasn't sure if he could finish it because he already ordered something else.

Hanae took a bite of the sausage and lifted her head with her eyes wide open.

Yahiro chuckled. "Is it good?" He put a tissue next to her plate.

She nodded her head and continued with her eating.

"I guess we're not sharing then..." Natsuki said with relief as he pushed the plate to Hanae.

They then proceeded to enjoy their meal while talking to each other. Hanae thought that it may not be that awkward talking to Yahiro after all.

"Thanks for the meal, Yahiro!" Natsuki waved his hand as Yahiro got up and walked over to the counter.

"Huh?" Hanae looked at Natsuki. "I thought we're going to split the bills."

"Nah, he told me that today's food is on him."

"Really? This place is quite pricey though..." Hanae turned her head to where Yahiro was.

"Don't worry about it."

"Ugh, easy for you to say because he's your best friend."

"Then," Natsuki smiled. "You can buy him food next time."

Hanae pondered for a while and nodded her head. "Yeah, I can do that."

Natsuki blinked a few times when Yahiro then walked up to them.

"Let's get going."

They picked up their bags and walked out of the cafe. On their way to the bus stop, Hanae was walking ahead when Natsuki grabbed Yahiro's arm. "You owe me more now."

"Hm?" Yahiro lifted an eyebrow.

"Just buy me steak and tell me how the date goes," Natsuki said as he pretended to wipe his non-existent tears.

"What?"

"What are you guys talking about?" Hanae turned her head around.

"Nothing, oh the bus is here." Natsuki pointed with his chin to the approaching bus.

"Oh yeah." She rummaged through her bag and took out her card. "Aren't you guys coming?"

"We have something else to do here." Natsuki waved at her.

'Why did they wait for me...' Hanae smiled.

"Take this with you." Yahiro gave her a small box.

Hanae was wide-eyed with astonishment but quickly snapped out of it. "Oh, the bus!" She quickly took the box. She couldn't say anything to him because she had to quickly get on the bus.

She looked outside the window at her friends as the bus started to move until she couldn't see them anymore. She looked down at the small box she was holding and slowly peeked into it.

'It's a cheesecake.'