Chapter 6

15 years old..

"Asahina," Yahiro called out to Hanae outside her class.

"Ah," Hanae noticed the book he was holding. It was the Science revision book she mentioned a couple of days ago which coincidentally he has one. "Thank you for lending me that."

"No problem, you can use it as long as you want."

"What about you?"

"It's okay, I have other books for revision."

Hanae did not think much as she took the book from him. 'Yeah, he won't be needing this as much as I do anyway.'

As she went inside her class, two girls came up to her with eyes filled with anticipation. "Asahina-san, is there something going on between you two? Don't give 'nothing' as an answer because you both seem closer than before."

Hanae let out a sigh. "There's no- I mean, we are only tuition mates. I'm just borrowing a revision book from him. That's all."

"He's quite distant with girls, so him going to a girl's classroom and giving her his stuff is a big deal."

"Guess he doesn't see me as a girl." Hanae smiled as she brushed off their question and went back to her seat. She was tired of dealing with their nonsense about her and Kiyoshi. She wondered why people are so nosy about others.

As usual, she would meet up with Natsuki and Yahiro near the school's gate after school was over. However, Hanae noticed that Natsuki was not around and there was only Yahiro this time. She also noticed a cute long-haired girl next to him, talking to him as she smiled shyly around him.

'Uh, I should not bother them right now..'  Before she could hide, Yahiro noticed her and quickly switched his attention towards her.

"Asahina! Sorry for making you wait, let's go." Yahiro walked towards her without saying another word to the girl who was next to him.

'The way he is saying that is as if I want him to finish talking quickly..'  Hanae's forehead creased. Hanae felt bad and uneasy as she noticed the girl's dejected face as she walked away.

"Where's Natsuki?" She asked.

"He has something going on today."

'Why didn't he tell me earlier?' It was not the first time Natsuki had something come up, but he would usually tell Hanae beforehand and she would go home with her friends instead. She realized that though she could speak comfortably with Yahiro now, she could not hold small talks with him, especially anything other than study and tuition.

They started walking side by side quietly. She glanced at Yahiro who did not show any expression other than his usual smile. 'I should say something..'

"Have you finished Maths homework?"

"Yeah, I did. Though I had problems with the last question."

"Me too. I left that one unanswered, I'm going to ask Miyamoto-san later."

"Then you can just see mine."

"You said you had problems.."

"Yeah, and then I figured it out."

"....."

Yahiro chuckled. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're doing that on purpose. What a show-off."

"Well, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply." Yahiro laughed.

'He clearly knows it.'  Hanae rolled her eyes. She did not hide the annoyance on her face.

.....

Present..

'It's been a while since someone said that to me..'

"Hey, are you listening to me? Kiyoshi-kun likes you! Why are you not surprised?"

Hanae let out a chuckle. "Sorry, I was thinking of something in the past."

"Haahh..suddenly lost in thought.." Makoto sighed and smiled helplessly at her friend. She thought that the guy who is going to pursue Hanae in the future will be having a hard time.

"I understand why you say so, but trust me, that's not it."

"Are you sure?"

"Hundred percent."

Makoto stopped questioning when she saw Hanae being so sure about it. "Okay then, are you going to the get-together party tomorrow?"

"Are you?"

"The seniors are going to pay for the food, so yeah, I'm going!"

"Then, I'm going too."

Life as a student is never to refuse a free meal after all.