3. Acceptance?

"Jaan, what's bothering you?" Brinda asked seeing Ram standing at the bar in the corner of the hall.

He hugged her.

"Tell me, what happened? You look upset. That too on Shivi's engagement. Are you worried for her?" she asked.

He averted saying he's fine.

She knew something was wrong with him. She continued to ask until he answered, "So why are you standing here alone, away from everyone?"

Ram sighed.

"Honestly, even I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm very happy for Shivi. I know Akshay is great and he loves her. It's just that I.. I'm," he said, fidgeting.

She wrapped her arm in his and advised him to enjoy the moment instead of overthinking over something that he himself doesn't know. He smiled faintly and they walked towards Adi and rest of the gang.

The ceremony proceeded. Ram watched Shivina with contentment. She appeared very happy. Priya felt it unusual to find Shubham completing the ritual as brother and not Ram who is elder. In fact him standing with his friends away from his family felt little offbeat. But she didn't ponder much over it and watched the ceremony.

Akshay and Shivina exchanged the rings. Everyone applauded. Brinda even whistled out of happiness. Seeing this, Ram finally laughed and hugged her again.

Their families rushed on the stage. They wished them, hugged them. Sandy called Priya on the stage and she refused again. She pulled her forcefully.

Seeing her, Ram's smile faded. He turned to his friends and asked them for drinks. They were heading to the bar when Brinda stopped Ram. She dragged him away from everyone and asked,"It is about Priya, isn't it? Tell me!"

"It's nothing," he said.

She glared at him.

"Why did Priya refuse to marry me? She is not interested in marriage yet she convinced Akshay. Then neither she called me to inform her decision nor the reason for it. And now she is here for hours and didn't bother to even talk, like I'm invisible."

She just looked at him.

"What?" he frowned.

"Ram, you yourself answered the question. She is not into marriages and hence she refused."

"That's my point. Our marriage was good decision for both of us yet she convinced Akshay. I don't know why? We have a good house, family? Or do I look too old? But you said I look handsome," he started blabbering.

She sighed, then held his hand and said, "Maybe she knows you don't marry someone for their looks, house or riches."

He looked away.

"But Ram honestly, is there even slightest possibility that you have anything for..."

Leaving her hand in haste he refused,"Are you mad? Feelings for Priya? Don't you know whenever we met we fought. Except our date. Besides we don't even know each other. I was just confused... overwhelmed.. I don't know. And you know I accepted the proposal for Shivina. Nothing else," he paused. "Tujhe pata haina I love Vedika."

Ignoring what he said about Vedika she questioned him, "So what's bothering you?"

"I don't know..." he said his voice disheartened.

"Hi, Ram!"

They were interrupted. He turned back and grinned, "Vedu, tum?"

"Itne busy ho ki mujhse mile bhi nahi," she said.

Adi saw her and took away Brinda with him against her wish.

"Sorry, Vedu. Actually, I was occupied all the arrangements so..." he apologized.

"It's okay, Ram. I was kidding," she smiled and turned to Shivina. "But I'm happy Shivina is marrying someone she loves. She got what she wanted."

He looked at her in agony.

"Only if I would have waited," she added in low voice, and left.

****

Everyone was having dinner. As usual, Ram joined his friends. Brinda was sitting beside him. His eyes fell upon the table across the hall.

Akshay and Sandy seemed to argue over something. They randomly fed some food items to Priya while she was trying to sort out their argument. Few moments later, Sandy was smiling while Akshay continued to frown. Then Priya hinted her to feed him. He too ate it. He hugged Sandy. Three of them smiled at each other.

Smiling Priya looked radiant. For the fact, he hardly noticed how she looked until now. Unlike most of the women in the room, she was not wearing makeup. Or maybe some minimal makeup. Her hair was open and she looked good.

It brought a soft smile on his face too.

"Stop staring at Vedika!" Brinda chided turning his head towards the plate.

He started eating. After sometime he turned to her and whispered, "I think I figured out what was bothering me."

"Accha!?" she exclaimed and watched him speaking.

"Pata hai bri, when we went on the date yesterday, I told her about being in love with someone else."

"So that's the reason she refused to marry you," she asked while secretly keeping some sweets back from his plate.

"No. To my surprise she appreciated my honesty. And for the first time in all these years, I felt a little acceptance." He sipped some water. "Everyone has either judged me, or sympathized for loving someone who broke my heart. Strangely Priya was the only person to listen everything and accept it without any questions, judgment, advice or sympathy."

'Apne sach kaha, mujhe accha laga..'

Eating some food he continued, "Raat bhar mere dimaag mein uski baat gunjti rahi. No one has said this to me. And somewhere I felt she would agree to marry me," he sighed.

"But now when I think about it, it seems  she just came for her family and didn't really care," he wondered.

Brinda watched him in delight.

Then feeding her Rasmalai he said, "So, it's nothing like you think. It was Vedu and it'll be Vedu always!!! Even if you don't like it."

This time instead of annoyance she had smile on her face. Perhaps, she saw some hope.