32. Alliance

"I'll speak to you later," Ram got off the phone when he heard one of the Tarun knock on the door.

Ajay told him Nandini had asked to inform her after his sir freshens up, that maybe she wants to see him. Without responding to him, he tossed his phone on the bed and rushed to his mother's room.

As he stepped down from car, he got Shivina's call sharing the news about Nandini's proposal for his marriage.

Only a while ago, he told Priya how nobody except Brinda was/is invested in his marriage.

And this.

Okay. This happened earlier too, but the circumstances were different. Akki wanted Priya to be married before him, they thought Shivi was pregnant. That proposal was more for his sister than him. Apart from this, he doesn't recall talking about marriage or relationship stuff with his family even once in past eight years.

He slowed down nearing her room. He saw her staring at the wall sipping what appeared to be wine.

"Ram." She turned to him. "Looks like you just arrived," she said eyeing to his festive clothes then added, "Anyway."

She sat on one of the two single sofas and hinted him to sit on the other. She kept aside the empty glass and began, "I want to share some important news with you. It's late to discuss with you, but I had no choice and I took an important discussion on your behalf."

He tapped his foot nervously.

"I asked Meera ji for Priya's hand. For you," she completed.

Ram glanced up at her in disbelief. He was not able to trust his sister's words and assumed it was a prank until this second. He might have wished for this some time but hadn't hoped this to happen ever.

He parted his lips wanting to speak but couldn't form any words, his leg moving restlessly again.

He liked Priya a lot but certainly didn't expect his mother to know or do anything about it. Yes, she's his mom who really loves him but — it's hard to explain. To believe. Shivi was already married. Moreover Nandini is not even fond of Akshay or his family. Then, why?

"You like Priya, don't you?" She broke his trance, and he froze again.

"Shivi," he stuttered.

"So, you do," she smiled and turned to the tray on the table. "And no. Shivi didn't tell me anything."

She filled a glass for him along with her. "I had seen you two together quite few times in our gatherings. It wasn't tough to guess."

He took the glass she offered while trying to fight the bashful smile that threatened to form on his face.

"I'm sorry for spoiling your proposal—"

He choked then clarified after half minute, "I.. I didn't plan any proposal."

"Yet," his mother added. "You forgot Brinda had shown us (Virendra and her) your proposal video years ago."

He couldn't resist the pink hue rising on his cheeks.

A while later she asked, "Do you know how I met your dad, or how we got married?"

He bobbed his head vaguely, "you two worked together in our office and I guess," he paused and glanced at her, uncertain, "Dad proposed?"

"Virendra?" Nandini chuckled and kept aside her drink. "It was me."

"Really?" He almost popped out in his place.

She nodded, her laughter fading. "For the longest time your dad didn't even know I had crush on him. Not to miss how traditional my family is. They starting hunting prospective match for me while I was still studying. And I hated this process of marrying stranger, there after sharing entire life with each other just because you are married. Not that I was fan of love marriage either —" she turned to him — "You know how practical I'm."