20. Feelings

Josiah

Friday came faster than I anticipated and as my dad drove me to the police station I felt at peace knowing it would be the last time I would need to go there. The weather, previously cloudy, was now clear and sunny, proving to me that only good things could be happening now. My dad parked his suv in the visitors parking spot and with his usual gruff puppy eyes he glanced at me through the rearview mirror.

I shrugged looking at his eyes through the same mirror.

With a small invisible smile he nodded, opening the driver's door. I followed behind him, heart hammering within my chest. The closer I got to the square red brick building the faster my heart beat. Just the squeak of the doors caused moisture to gather in my hands.  I hated this place. It always felt like my nightmares lived in that very police station.

The officer in charge came to meet us, his eyes darted between my grim face and my father's suspicious smile. We probably made for a weird picture. I tuned out everything they said to each other as they greeted each other in the corridor.

I focused on my shoes trying to ignore the sounds around me. For a supposed quiet workplace the station was cluttered with noisy objects. Voices drifted past me, each one different from the last.

"Josiah!"

My fathers voice startled me. I looked up trying to tune back into the conversation.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

I nodded.

"The officer in charge needs to ask you a few questions and he needs us to sign some documents before we go." 

I nodded again.

"Ok, then follow me please," The officer in charge said.

With my thoughts still murked up from the sensory overload I heard someone mention Baring's name. I smiled, brushing it off becauseI had to be daydreaming. With another shake of my head, I chastised myself for day dreaming at a time like that.

The whole thing took less time than I anticipated and the officer who guided us wanted to know if I wanted to know the culprit when they caught them. I shook my head and signed the papers they gave me. After that it didn't take long for my dad to drop me off at home before going back to work.

From then on everything moved fast and suddenly it was 4pm and I was hanging out with Daniel at my house. Just the two of us.

I watched Daniel riffle through the cd's stacked next to our radio. He smiled as he sorted through them humming in agreement every now and then. He lifted up a black and white cd case and smiled, "This one's yours?"

I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

"Come on be honest, it says Josiah on the back." He laughed.

I ran my hand through my hair, leaning against the couch. Of course it was mine. After the Villain's Justice poster he had seen in my room it stood to reason the Villain's Justice album in the living room was mine.

"You really like these cheesy fuckers huh?" He continued.

I groaned, making my way across the living room carpet to join him at the cupboard. "I thought you were picking a movie,"

Daniel jumped back tripping over a few CDs, he laughed catching himself on the edge of the cupboard."Whoa. You scared me."

I shrugged and sifted through the untouched stack of DVDs. Daniel smiled at me and pulled out another Villain's Justice album. With five of my Villain's Justice CDs in his hands he quirked an eyebrow and smirked.