Childlike Experiences

Damian had been brought to Paris by his mother. Apparently she had some type of business to do. The 7 year old didn't understand why his mother never told him why they were in Paris. All Talia had told him was to wander around till she had been done for the day then they went to the place they were staying at and it would happen all over again the next.

The first day Talia had left him alone he walked all the way to a park. He just sat on the bench and watched some kids play. He didn't understand what they were playing. He had felt a longing to be able to do that. To just be... normal.

What he didn't expect was for a girl around his age to run up to him. She was wearing pink overalls and a white shirt underneath. Her hair was in pigtails and freckles dusted her cheeks and what was visible of her shoulders. She was missing a tooth too.

She was cute, if he was being honest. Though she seemed like the kind of girl who would drag people into things. Who saw everything in the world through rose colored glasses.

"Hi! Do you want to play with us?" She smiled brightly as she spoke in French.

Damian raises an eyebrow. "Okay... what...?" He replied in perfect French. The language had always been one of his favorites.

"Tag of course! Have you ever played?" This girl seemed to smile even brighter.

"What is... tag?" Damian never heard of the game before. Well... who could blame him? He wasn't allowed to act the way normal kids do.

The girl paused. "You've never played tag before?"

Damian shook his head.

The girl smiled again. "That's okay! We can teach you! Oh! I'm Marinette by the way. I live in the bakery across the street!" Marinette pointed at a 3 story building.

Damian nodded at Marinette. "I'm Damian."

Marinette grabbed Damian's hand and started dragging him to a group of kids. "It's nice to meet you, Damian! I'm sure my friends will love hanging out with you."

Marinette never noticed the tense when she grabbed his hand. Damian didn't understand why he was letting this girl drag him into a group of kids his age. But once he started playing tag with the group he found out that he didn't mind it. It was rather refreshing.

Damian had played tag with the group for a while. Some of the kids had to go home though, leaving only a few kids left. They had soon gotten tired though. This left him and Marinette.

Marinette lied down on the grass and looked at the sky. She soon looked over to Damian and patted the spot beside her. Damian was hesitant but soon laid down beside her. Marinette turned her head and looked at Damian. She shined him a bright smile, Damian couldn't help but smile back.

"I had fun, Dami! You are really good at playing tag."

"You aren't too bad at the game either." Damian replied.

Marinette giggled. "As if! My legendary clumsiness always ruins it for me." Marinette looked back at the sky and closed her eyes.

"Do you think we could play tomorrow? I know my Maman would say yes since it is my summer break. What would yours say?" Marinette asked.

"I'm not sure."

At that moment Damian heard his mother. Her yelling had startled both Damian and Marinette.

"Damian!" Talia quickly walked over to him as he and Marinette sat up.

Marinette looked over and saw Damian's face. She noticed how he hid the frightened look. She furrowed her eyebrows.