t h r e e// J A I L E R

"Look I know you can handle yourself out there. I know you got it in ya, I just..." He trailed off.
"Just?"
"Don't want ya to go." The vulnerability in Daryl's voice sent a strike of lighting to Nova's chest and she stepped closer to him, noticing he kept picking aggressive and anxiously at his innocent nails.
"Why?"
His starry eyes met hers for a brief second but got dragged down right after.
"I'll be fine... if that's what's concerning you. We'll be around. And it's just 'till Michonne gets that out of her head."
He nodded, biting down on his bottom lip with the strength of a thousand men.
Smith looked around, finding herself forced to shut down a smirk at the sight she spotted.
In the distance, Merle Dixon dug the ground, creating more crop field space.
The council had reduced him to hard work and maintained him inside the fences, not trusting him yet.
"Bright side:" She started. "You get to spend more time with your brother."
Her mischievous smile made Daryl give her a look before searching for his brother with his eyes, his hand trying to block the sun.
She giggled and pat his shoulder once before heading to cellblock C.
He followed behind, standing by the entrance of her cell as she packed clothes in a backpack.
Seeing her pack clothes reminded him of something.
He stepped into his own cell and grabbed something before walking back to hers.
"Here." He said, handing the item to her. Smith's eyes wandered the thick fabric before recognising what it was. "Got you that jacket I promised."
She chuckled lowly before taking it in her hands. "Thank you."
Smith genuinely didn't expect him to remember such casual promise, but he did.
Her eyes ran him up and down as one of her brows rose up, comparing it to the leather jacket in her hands.
"Do you want us to be matching, Daryl Dixon?"
His cheeks shot red as he stood petrified with the same expression.
Smith laughed hysterically and playfully pushed him. "I'm messing with you." She paused to catch her breath. "For real. Thank you."

The slamming of the car trunk brought Daryl back to reality.
His blue eyes drove the quick and familiar road to her beautiful ones.
For the more common brown eyes were, he almost found the most unique beauty and fascination in them. The way they looked in the sun. Blue eyes like his could never.
The woman before him shot the sweetest smile, a look of amusement and compassion mixed in her facial features.
"Are you okay?"
He hummed, again. He knew the awkwardness of him kept growing but he couldn't help it. It's what she did to him.
"You get to be free of me for a while." She smirked but he didn't find a single drop of comedy in her comment.
"Don't."
She chuckled lowly. "I know, I know. The harder you try to convince me you don't mind being alone, the more I believe otherwise."
He scoffed. "Think I'm afraid of being alone?"
"No. You're scared to be abandoned."
The way she had said that with such certainty and confidence, like she was absolutely sure of what she was saying, like it was obvious to her shook Daryl up.
"What?"
"You're not scared of being alone." She informed, leaning against the car, next to him. "You're afraid to be left alone." She paused, watching as his eyes narrowed, she wasn't sure it was safe to keep going but ignored the signs. "You care about people and that's what you think is your weakness, but it really isn't. You just think that by caring, everyone will either use you or leave after you get attached. Truth is, real ones never leave." Her lips curled on the right corner. "But you can't shut everyone away because two out of ten will hurt you. That's something inevitable. You can't run away from pain. When you love and care, hurt is kind of part of the package. But it'll also be the smallest part once you learn how to do it right.".
"Smith!" Michonne's voice called as she walked in a rush towards them. "Time to go."
The woman nodded and stood up straight, gazing at the youngest Dixon once more.
"I promise I won't drink."
He snorted firstly and then ended up chuckling with her.
Rick came closet with two objects in hand.
"Found these on last week's run. Think you should have one." He said and handed Smith a walkie-talkie. "Batteries aren't full so be smart in its use."
"Yes, sheriff." She tied the walkie to her gun belt.
"A week."
"A week."
Grimes looked around, specifically looking for Michonne, whom he saw not too far away. But far enough that she couldn't hear him if he whispered.
"Try to talk to her." He said. "Make her see it's not worth it."
"I will."
"We can't keep letting people out with this frequency. We need forces here not outside."
Smith nodded, silently telling him she agreed with his words.
Carol approached the small gathering of people, her arm laced around Carl's shoulders. He wore the most intense frown.
"What's with the face, little man?" Smith bent to his height.
He didn't respond but instead looked down at the floor, his hat completely covering his face.
"He's mad you're going." Carol explained, the corner of her lip curling at the little boy.
"And you didn't tell me!" He spoke.
"Oh, I'm sorry, dear." Smith pulled him to her. He was even angrier that he had to head her and Michonne were leaving from Carol's mouth and not her own. He felt betrayed.
"You just got back."
"I know. And we'll be back in the blink of an eye."
"You said that last time."
"And weren't we?" He didn't say a thing. "This time it's just a week. You won't even realise I'm gone." She paused and then switched her tone to a whisper. "I'll bring you more comics."
"Are you trying to buy me off?"
"Maybe I am." She smirked and got back up on her feet.
Rick stepped closer and pulled Nova into a goodbye embrace. "Go. The sooner you go, the sooner you get back. And stay safe."
"Of course."
"Stay safe." The short haired woman ordered, pulling her into an embrace.
Michonne got there just in time for the hugs, too.
Daryl took all of his courage and stepped towards Smith for an embrace as well. She smiled and he brought his chin to rest on her shoulder.
"Be safe, alright?" He whispered.
"Always am." She finalised, pulling back, much to his displeasure.
But they stood there for a couple beats, which felt magical to him. She pulled back but their hands stood glued on their place. Hers on his arms, after sliding down his shoulders, and his on her waist, before Rick Grimes spoke again, leading her to drop the touch.
"Holler back if you need anything."
"We will." She dipped her head in assurance and walked to the front of the car, stopping midway to pinch the Grimes kid's cheek.