Chapter Eighteen

Once home I went to shower, standing in the warm water felt good. I dried off and slipped on a simple rose-colored sundress.

Deciding to go barefoot for the evening felt good. No one to meet and I was able to spend the evening with Duke, and Evan if he was not in a sour mood.

Walking into the kitchen I saw a note left for me.

"Jasmine,

I have things I need to take care of, so unfortunately, I will not be able to make it for dinner. Evan decided to go with me, so you have the house to yourself tonight.

Be safe and see you tomorrow

Duke"

Well that note was short and sweet I thought, oh well, me time, I guess.

I made a simple sandwich, and I grabbed a pop. While I ate, I watched a movie. I cleaned up my mess and decided to go to the gazebo for some time to myself.

I grabbed a light shawl that Lisa told me I had to have on some nights that might get a slight chill to the air. Wrapping it around my shoulders I went out the back door to the gazebo.

Sitting there I rested my head against one of the support beams. Closing my eyes, I could hear the crickets; bats were flying overhead getting their dinner.

The scent of roses was heavy in the air tonight, I did not mind at all. This was my other Zen spot. Here I could relax and just be without having to worry about anything right now.

"You are simply an amazing woman, so beautiful sitting there in the moonlight." I heard a deep voice coming from in front of me.

I opened my eyes and there stood a man that I had not seen before. He was stunning in black dress slacks, a white dress shirt with sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

His arms were massive, his waist was tapered, but you could tell this man was lean. His eyes sparked an emerald green, his hair was short and had a clean cut as if he were the CEO of a company.

"Hi" I said not knowing who he was, he seemed familiar, but I was not sure.

"Jasmine, do I look so different out of water than I do in it?" he asked.

My eyes got wide, I stood up and went to Thomas.

"In fact, Thomas, you do look very different," I said with a warm smile. I was not ready to end the day earlier with him.

"Nighttime is when I am able to be out of water the longest" he said as he took my hand in his.

"I must confess, I wasn't ready to end the day with you, but I was getting too tired" I whispered looking up at him.

"I could tell, and I will confess to you, that I didn't want the day to end either, but I knew I was going to see you tonight" he said as he kissed the back of my hand.

His lips were so warm against my skin I wanted to feel more of him, but there was no way I was ever going to say that.

We spent the next two hours laughing and talking about everything and nothing at the same time. It felt good being with Thomas.

I told him of my past and what Duke did to save me.

"I will have to repay him for keeping such a treasure alive, even if we end up not mating Jasmine, I want you to know you are always welcome in the water with me" he said with a sincere smile on his lips.

"That means the world to me, thank you for that Thomas" I said, and we continued to walk around the gardens.

Just as Thomas was about to leave, Duke showed up. I was not sure how this would go, since Evan made it clear he did not trust any merfolk.

"Thomas, good to see you" Duke called out walking towards him, they shook hands.

"Always a pleasure Duke, I wanted to thank you for saving this treasure of a woman" Thomas said smiling down at me.

"Welcome, and she definitely is a beautiful treasure that is for sure" Duke said smiling at me.

Evan walked up and shook Thomas' hand, "no hard feelings earlier today" Evan said.

"None taken once Jasmine explained you are like the overbearing big brother" Thomas said which got Duke laughing.

I stood there smiling sweetly at Evan who rolled his eyes.

"Care to come inside Thomas?" Duke asked.

"Another time I hope, but I must get back, there has been unrest lately"

"Anything serious?" Duke and Evan asked together.

"Nothing yet, but word has it that the prince Arron has his sights set on making Jasmine his mate no matter what the cost is" Thomas said quietly.

Just at the mention of Arron's name my core flared to life. I did not mention that but for some reason Thomas and Duke turned to look at me.

"What?" I asked as I stood there being stared at.