3. First Kiss

Sunday came again and a feeling of happiness once again washed over me. I couldn't wait to see Carter. I had asked my mom if we could go to the morning mass which started at 8:30 am. At first she didn't want to until I reminded her that the morning mass gives out free doughnuts and coffee and she agreed.

After morning mass ended, I went home and grabbed the items I bought for him. I got him a warm fuzzy sweater with a dinosaur cartoon on it. I also got him a box of chocolates from Sweet Tooth, a candy shop known for their Swiss chocolate. And lastly, I got him a bracelet with 'G' engraved on the heart. It was silver and was sparkly.

I reached Carter's house and knocked on the door. He opened and a smile was plastered on his face.

"Gavin!" He said, lunging forward and entrapping me in a hug. I hugged him back, happy that he was also happy to see me. I entered and he already handed me a cup of cold water. I accepted it and handed him the items I got for him.

"Gavin, you shouldn't have." He said.

"Please Carter, you deserve this and more." And he does. He did.

"Thank you, Gav." He hugged me, like I was the best thing in his life. He hugged me, which sent tingles through my body.

I didn't know then, but I would in a heartbeat give up all my money just to be able to hug him again.

"Anytime."

He pulled out the sweater and hugged it.

"OH MY! This is beautiful."

He then pulled out the box of chocolates.

"AWH! You shouldn't have." He said.

"There's one more thing."

He pulled out the black box and ran his fingers through the velvet box. He stared at the box, unable to comprehend the sheer amount that he held. The amount of love that I had unknowingly put into this gift. He opened the box and gasped at the content.

"G-GAVIN! HO-HOW DID YOU-? What- I-I..." He stumbled on his words and began crying.

"Are you okay? Do you not like it?" I asked, panicking at the sight of him breaking down. In the time I've known Carter, he's never shown anything else beside happiness. His crying added a new layer to his character depth. He was real. The most real person I've known.

"Like it? I LOVE IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH!" He said. He hugged me, continuing to sob on my shoulder. He was shorter so he was on his toes, wrapping his arms around my neck. I patted his back, calming him down.

"It's just that, no one has ever given me a gift before." He said, making me feel guilt. I've always been given presents on my birthday, Christmas, family reunions, sometimes even for no reason. And I didn't deserve them. Carter deserves all the best gifts in the world.

He was the best person I've known. The realest. The happiests. The cutest.

"I'll give you everything in the world, Carter." I said. I hugged him tightly.

"Can you help me put it on?" He said, holding the bracelet. I nodded and clipped it on his small wrist. It fit perfectly, like I knew exactly his size.

Makes you wonder huh?

We once again played board games. But Carter decided to switch it up. He brought me to his room, which was full of books. I saw his bed, which looked very unstable.

We laid on his bed, and my heart beat faster. He layed like his life was perfect. He turned on a radio and it played soft music.

"Gavin?" He said.