01. Wolf Moon (Part One)

[This chapter at least will be split into two chapters because altogether it's over 10,000 words to read, give or take. And that's a lot to read, so hopefully y'all don't mind the split.]

BEACON HILLS PRESERVE

On a dark, foggy night, several Beacon County Sheriff's Department deputies pulled up to the Beacon Hills Preserve in their police cruisers. At least a dozen officers got out from their vehicles, some with K9 unit dogs who were barking and whimpering amongst the radio chatter. Flashlights in hand, the deputies began their search in the woods.

MCCALL HOUSE

Scottie was getting ready for bed. As she laced up her lacrosse stick, she heard an odd sound. She grabbed a wooden bat and made her way outside.

Stiles Stilinski dangled from the roof, causing Scottie to scream.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" Scottie cried.

"You weren't answering your phone," Stiles replied. "Why do you have a bat?"

"I thought you were a predator."

"A pre -- I -- wha -- look, I know it's late, but you gotta hear this. I saw my dad leave 20 minutes ago. Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even State Police."

"For what?"

"Two joggers found a body in the woods."

"A dead body?"

"No, a body of water. Yes, dumbass, a dead body."

"You mean like murdered?"

"Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a guy, probably in his late 20s."

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?"

"That's the best part. They only found half. We're going."

---

Scottie let out an annoyed sigh as they reached the Beacon Hills Preserve. "We're seriously doing this?"

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town," Stiles shot back.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow."

Instantly, Stiles' tone turned sarcastic. "Right, 'cause sitting on the bed is such a grueling effort."

"No, because I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm making first line."

"Hey, that's the spirit. Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically unrealistic one."

"Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?"

"Huh! I didn't even think about that."

"And, uh, what if whoever killed the body is still out there?"

"Also something I didn't think about."

Scottie rolled her eyes in amusement as the two began hiking up the hill. "It's comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention to detail."

"I know."

Scottie's breathing quickly turned rapid, shallow and wheezy as the two continued climbing, and she struggled to keep up with Stiles' quick pace. She gasped and said, "Maybe the severe asthmatic should be the one holding the flashlight, huh?"

Scottie leaned back against a nearby tree and pulled her inhaler from her pocket. However, since Stiles kept pushing on, Scottie continued making her way up the hill after her. When they saw a handful of people ahead waving flashlights around, the two dove behind a large fallen branch as they planned their next move, turning off the flashlight so they didn't attract attention. Quickly getting impatient, Stiles whispered back to Scottie as she jumped up and ran towards the action.