one bed trope + nightmares <3

tbh i have no idea what this is and i feel like i executed it pretty poorly idk but here's another oneshot ajfdjkadfaksfkj

cover art by @/imsteli on twitter :D

~

vi's pov

The thick fog closes in around me, it's cold against my skin. I glance around, squinting, looking for anyone, anything, that will give me some indication of where I am.

Before long, the fog thins, and I can see a figure standing still in the distance, their back to me. I call out to them, and they slowly turn their head to face me.

Powder's eyes meet mine and the world quiets. She stares at me for a while, observing and taking me in. I start to walk towards her and she stays still, my steps silent.

My pace quickens into a jog as her feet start to disappear.

They vanish like sand, washed away and forgotten.

What would happen after all of her was gone?

I yell after her, my breath heaving as I start to run. Tears slide down my face as her legs disappear. My lungs burn but I run harder, barely inching closer to her. She continues to stare at me, her eyes sad, almost disappointed.

Powder's torso turns to sand while I keep running, sharp screams I can't hear escaping my lips.

Next to go is her neck, her face slowly starting to disappear.

I scream and the world is quiet.

Suddenly, there's a break through the silence. The words fill my ears, coming from all around me.

"Why did you leave me?"

Those are my sister's last words before her face turns to dust.

I shoot up, a cold sweat lining my forehead and warm tears pricking my cheeks. My head whips around, taking in the small inn room. I panic, my breaths quickening and my lungs closing in and I can't breathe—

"Vi?"

Shit.

"Mmm, yeah?" I say, quickly wiping tears and taking shaky breaths.

Caitlyn and I booked the room last night after a run-in with Zaunites and no shelter nearby. Of course the only room available had one bed, and Cait (after ten minutes of arguing) reluctantly crept onto the mattress beside me.

"...Are you alright?" Caitlyn asks.

"Yeah, all good," I sniff. I move my back towards Caitlyn and hang my legs off the bed, anxiously tapping my fingers on my knees.

I hear her shuffling towards me, and there's a pause before she gently wraps her arms around my stomach and leans towards me, resting her chin on my shoulder.

I search for something to say but all that comes out of my mouth is a shaky sigh.

She nuzzles her head into the crook of my neck, hugging me tighter.

I blink back tears and move Caitlyn's arms as she backs away.

"You care about me, cupcake?" I try to say it mockingly but it only comes out cracky and sad.

She stays silent, moving back to her side of the bed.

I hesitantly climb under the sheets, and Caitlyn clambers in as well. She turns her head to face me, and we're both staring at each other and I'm trying to not sob and Caitlyn doesn't know what to do.

She gently rubs her thumb against my cheek, brushing hair out of my eyes. I bite my lip, blinking slowly.

"Sorry," I whisper, shifting onto my back.

"For what?" Caitlyn asks.

"Me. Acting like this," I motion to my tears, laughing softly.

"...You're allowed to feel things, Vi. You're allowed to cry. You're safe here... with me," She says the last sentence softly, like she's testing the waters.

"But crying's for babiesss," I whine.

"Are you calling me a baby?" Caitlyn gasps, laughing softly.

"What if I am?" I smirk, pushing my face close to hers, lips inches from touching. She flinches and her cheeks immediately turn red. She's really bad at hiding her feelings.

Caitlyn then shoves her hand into my face."Then I'd tell you that's rude and you should respect me because I'm an Enforcer and I'm taller than you."

I scoff, shoving her shoulder, "I got my dad's height, it's not my fault!"

Caitlyn smirks, "Y'knowww... you could always be taller if–"

"Caitlyn I am not going to try on your high heels. Stop asking me," I groan, trying to hide my smile.

"But you'd look so pretty!" Caitlyn says it then turns bright red, eyes widening. She bites her lip, quickly looking up at the ceiling.

I scoff, smiling. She's really gay.