Chapter 4 Sorting Ceremony

As the train pulled up at the station, we had finally arrived to Hogwarts. Getting off the train I saw a huge castle with many turrets and towers. We came to boats that a big man named Hagrid all told us to get into, I ended up with Harry, Ron and the boy who lost his toad, Neville. The lake was beautiful, the water glistened from the reflection of the moon and stars, the boats made small waves that gently rocked the boats. I hope that this school will be as calming and beautiful as the lake, I vowed I would find a secret spot near the lake to hide if need be, I knew I would need it.

We all headed up the stairs to stop as a woman with black hair in a bun with a pointy witch hat and green robes, got us to pause before she began her speech.

"I am Professor McGonagall. Welcome to Hogwarts. In a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates but before you take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Now while you're here your house will be like your family, your triumphant's will earn you points, any ruling breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year the house with the most points is awarded the house cup- "

The boy on the who had lost his toad train yelled out "Trevor!'' causing the woman to look at him disappointed and sternly. Everyone but me laughed, I didn't think it was that funny. "Sorry." I could tell he was embarrassed as he apologised, I felt bad for him, I knew how it was to be laughed at like that.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." With that she walked away.

"So, it's true then what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts. This is Crabbe and Goyle and I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Draco walked over to harry all proud and rude. He obviously thought he was better than everyone else. I heard Ron let out a bit of a laugh and so did Malfoy as he retorted back, "Think me name's funny do you, no need to ask for yours, red hair and a hand me down robe, you must be a Weasley." Draco sneered at Ron who wasn't looking that happy now, his smile had disappeared into a sad kind of look. "You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than other's Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Draco held out to Harry in a cocky way.

I could tell there was some good in Draco but it was greatly over shadowed by his father's way of thinking.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks." Harry replied lowly, refusing Draco's hand.

"Really Draco, you couldn't have tried being friends with him nicely could you, and that was really low Draco, Ron is really nice you have to be mean to him whether you like his family or not and what I saw of his family they are as nice as Ron. You obviously didn't take my advice about blood doesn't matter did you." I walked up to Draco and stared at him with my arms daring him to break my eye contact. I knew my stare was a harsh one that a lot of people at the orphanage was scared of, I could strike fear in the coldest or bravest hearts if I wanted to. I won as he huffed and walked away with his two new bodyguards, Crabbe and Goyle.

"Thanks." Ron hugged me as both boys beamed at me.

The woman came back and told us they were ready for us and to follow her. My mind wandered to the houses, I wonder what house I would be in. Would I make any friends? Maybe I would be sorted with Harry and Ron.

We all walked into and the hall passing four long tables that had already had older students seated. Dumbledore got up to start speaking. He spotted me and winked with a grin on his face.

"I have a few starts of term notices I was to announce. The first years, please note that the forbidden forest is strictly forbidden to all students also the caretaker Mr Flinch has asked me to remind you that the third floor is out of bounds to those who don't wish to die a most painful death. Thank you" I grimaced.

Professor McGonagall started calling out names. I start to grow anxious as each person was called, making my name come closer each second. Professor McGonagall placed a brown old hat that was said to look into your mind to find out where you belonged, on the student's heads.

"Hermione Granger"

"Gryffindor!" the hat shouted after a moment of thinking.

"Draco Malfoy'

"Slytherin!" Draco hadn't had the hat touch his head before it shouted out.

"Susan Bones''

"I know, Hufflepuff!"

The names kept going calling out names I had heard before.

"Ronald Weasley"

"Gryffindor!" Ron beamed as he headed off to the Gryffindor table.

"Harry Potter"

The hat took a while as harry was whispering to himself and the hat.

"Gryffindor!" Harry looked immensely relieved.

"Bri." I took a deep breath as I walked to the stool and hat.

"Hmm, you have many traits of the houses. Kind, Loyal, is see your quite brave, very smart, wise and very powerful, extremely ambitious and determined, you want to prove yourself, don't you, hmm you seem to be sneaky and cunning too. But where to put you, you would do well in any house but I think it must be." I opened my closed eyes as the hat shouted my house. "Slytherin!" I made my way over to the Slytherin table, after smiling grimly at Harry and Ron. The both looked sad and disappointed.

After we ate dinner, which was the most food I've had or even seen, everyone was asked to head down to the common rooms. I followed the Slytherin prefects like the other first years as we headed into the common room and shown our dormitory's that was in the dungeons under the school, I could see into the black lake when I looked through the windows. The common room was dark and had green everywhere, it was slightly cold but I actually liked it. We headed off to bed, I was introduced to a few of the other Slytherin girls in my dorm. Pansy Parkinson was rude, whiny and insufferable to me, I didn't like any of the other girls either. I soon fell asleep into another one of my nightmares.