Chapter 1

Morrowseer unleashed a thunderous roar as he flew over the fortress. The lava that crept down the sides of the volcano was slow, but it was dangerous, and it was coming right towards the fortress so GET OUT OF THERE I'VE BEEN ROARING AT YOU THIS ENTIRE TIME THREE MOONS - 

The NightWings poured out of all the entrances, wings spreading almost immediately as they struggled to gain altitude. Several crippled NightWings dragged themselves towards the trees, but others were lifted into the air by a trio of friends or family.

FINALLY, Morrowseer thought. But he kept that to himself.

"Wait!" shrieked one older NightWing, a female. "Where is Secretkeeper?"

"It was her turn to guard the treasure room with Brightsong and Moonscale," fretted another. "She must still be there."

"And what about Brightsong?" asked a male. He trembled visibly - was he Brightsong's partner?

Morrowseer had no idea who Brightsong or Secretkeeper were, but Moonscale was his sister. "MOONSCALE!" he bellowed into the crowd. 

The male who was worrying about Brightsong looked up at him. "Moonscale isn't here either," he said in a half choked voice. "She must be still there with the others. Oh, what will we do?" He let forth another cry of despair.

"Three moons, can you stop that infernal noise?" Morrowseer growled down at him. "I am trying to think."

The only possible course of action would be going to the treasure room and finding Moonscale and the others. That was obviously the right thing to do...right?

Morrowseer hovered, undecided, and then finally gritted his teeth. He would be no major loss to the tribe if he got smushed by falling rocks or boiled in lava. But if he saved the three dragonesses (he assumed that all of them were dragonesses) then he would be honoured, right? And who would want to die because of lava?

Fine. Then it was decided.

Morrowseer detatched himself from his tribe and dove towards the fortress. An uninteligable shriek followed him as he hurtled downwards, wind whistling in his ears. 

The treasure room was at the base of a squat stone tower. The lava had reached the far wall and was slowly oozing towards it like a herd of gigantic glow worms.

Morrowseer landed on the ground (it was already burning hot) and shoved the resisting door open. It was stifling in the treasure room, and almost as hot as the ground outside. He met three dying pairs of eyes, two of them already half unconscious.

"Moonscale!" Morrowseer exclaimed. He rushed forwards to catch her before she collapsed onto the ground. 

"M-Morrowseer?" Moonscale's bleary eyes unfocused. 

"We have to get you all out of here," Morrowseer said frantically. "Come on, Moonscale! Brightsong! Secretkeeper! Let's go!" But Moonscale's and one of the other NightWing's breathing became shallower and shallower. 

He began to drag Moonscale towards the door, but she was too heavy. And her eyes had already glazed over. 

"Moonscale!" Morrowseer clutched her talons in his. 

"Goodbye...brother..." Moonscale leaned back towards the other dragoness. Morrowseer thought he caught a glint of something in her talons, but he thought that was because he had a film of tears over his eyes.

The one remaining dragoness was still alive, though. She staggered towards the door.

I'm not letting another NightWing down, Morrowseer thought determinedly. He rushed forwards and wrapped a wing around her, then began to half push half pull her towards the door. She coughed and stumbled, but Morrowseer didn't let go until they were safely out of the treasure room. 

He closed his eyes so he didn't have to watch the tower being devoured by the hungry maw of lava.

"Can you fly?" Morrowseer asked the dragoness.

"Y-Yes." Her voice was cracked and parched. "T-Thank you."

Morrowseer bit back a retort about how there was no time for 'thank yous', but something stopped him. The dragoness stepped forwards and spread her wings, then lifted off into the air. He followed her, and they silently followed the main crowd of NightWings.

!