Chapter 3

Morrowseer thought about what the queen had said. He knew how much he loved his tribe.

Fine. He was going to write a prophecy.

It would have to be believable and amazing and all that sort of stuff. 

Morrowseer blinked and stared listlessly out at the rows of scrolls. He held a blank piece of parchment in one claw and a quill in the other.

He had done plenty of research on the other dragon tribes, and he had finally selected a home for the tribe. The rainforest would be perfect. But he would need the help of a SandWing queen...

Words suddenly flowed into his mind. It was like he was making it up at that very instant...

He dipped his claw into the ink and pressed it against the scroll.

When the war has lasted twenty years...

The dragonets will come.

When the land is soaked in blood and tears...

The dragonets will come.

Fine the SeaWing egg of deepest blue.

Wings of nights shall come to you.

The largest egg in mountain high

Will give to you the wings of sky.

For wings of earth

Search through the mud

For an egg the colour of dragon blood.

And hidden alone from the rival queens 

The SandWing egg awaits unseen.

Of three queen who blister and blaze and burn

Two shall die and one shall learn

That if she bows to a fate that is stronger and higher

She'll have the power of wings of fire.

Five eggs to hatch on brightest night

Five dragons born to end the fight.

Darkness will rise to bring the light.

The dragonets are coming...

There. Not too shabby. Morrowseer sat back with satisfaction. It sounded perfect and believable, exactly made for useless gullible dragons. 

Of course, they could plant the SandWing egg in the desert for the Talons in Pieces or whatever the weird club was named. And the 'darkness' would be the NightWings, once they had chosen the queen that would be victorious. And she could help them conquer the rainforest. Wings of fire could mean the Eye of Onyx, if one thought about it the one way.

But, in reality, the majority of the prophecy was just smoke and mirrors.