01. Wild Vixen

༻✺༺

༻✺༺

0 1 : w i l d v i x e n

cause darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a day dream.

༻✺༺

LOVE is like a rainbow, breathtakingly beautiful but transient and illusional.

I grimaced at the sudden and unexpected thought that fluttered through my mind upon seeing the lines of blue and tangerine slither through the pesky afternoon sky with blips of sunlight streaming in from behind the scattering billowy clouds. A rainbow, splitting across the wild blue yonder, arced into the heavens above, spewing its chaotic colours on the stippled canvas of the somber sky.

The rain had ceased a while ago but the air was still heavy, rife with the pungent smell of earth. The petrichor that once soothed my soul with its sweet pleasant smell, merely reminded me of storms and silences today.

Unfastening the silk scarf from around my neck, my eyes returning from the window to the spreadsheet on my computer screen, I rolled my head to the side, the sore tired muscles of my neck protesting under the movement. The start of the calendar was always tough, piled with constant meetings and late hours, however the past week at the The J. M Group Headquarters had been particularly hectic. With the next 5 year general meeting edging near, it meant we had little time to spare.

A glance at my weekly organiser confirmed what I already knew. The week was going to be packed and the jet lag from my impromptu weekend trip was not going to help. A dull pulse throbbed behind my eyes, growing painful and eager for relief. I cursed under my breath, rubbing my temples painfully. There were still three more important reports that begged my attention.

There was no time to waste.

What had started off as a small enterprise in Dada Jaan's palatial house in the town of Faisalabad was today a sprawling multinational conglomerate. And today, nothing made me prouder than sitting in his seat and watching this company scale new heights and reach the pinnacle of success.

The day dragged on painfully slow, and when I stared up at the clock, I realised I had missed lunch again. It was late in the afternoon, a little past five, but the weather outside seemed to have cleared and the sun was now shining in all its glory, filling my office cabin with an envious light.

My office, a stark contrast to my house, was decorated in the banal tones of contemporary dark browns and grey: sleek teak tables, lacquered desks with gold hardware and regal purple carpets that matched the colour of our logo. An exquisite oil painting from my grandfather's private art collection hung between the two shelves of neatly kept books, awards and expensive decoration pieces, some antique and some new. There was an understated charm and elegance to this place, because my grandfather truly epitomised the principle of power to be in the understatements.