07. Infuriatingly Irresistable

༻✺༺

༻✺༺

0 7 : i n f u r i a t i n g l y  i r r e s i s t i b l e

i knew you were trouble when you walked in

༻✺༺

𝐴𝑧𝑎𝑎𝑛

"IN any case, the matter will need investigation."

"Deputy Hussein Sahab, thank you for your assistance, but unless Mr. Baloch or the opposite party files for an FIR, I believe there is nothing the police can do."

"That would be correct, Mr. Mughal. But since we've been called here, it wouldn't be wrong to assume Mr. Baloch wishes to register an FIR." The deputy police commissioner looked towards an injured Azar on the bed beside me.

It was the day after the incident, and it hadn't taken much for the research department at my office to dig up dirt upon this man overnight. A wealthy and enterprising landlord from South Punjab with a drug and alcohol addiction financed by the corrupt millions of his family business, Azar Baloch was a man of many unbidden vices, but generational wealth and connections meant he kept the authorities in his pocket.

I turned towards him, my eyes silent and lips smug, and asked, "Mr. Baloch I should leave you with Hussein Sahab for all the legal formalities. Take care of yourself." Leaning closer I patted his shoulder and whispered only for his ears. "And I'll make sure the Malik's take care of you too." I didn't have to look up to see the expression on his face, the way his muscles contracted it was evident my work here was done.

Collecting the papers in my file, I was confident I wouldn't have to return for a second time. The man was recovering and hadn't sustained any major injuries. The non disclosure agreement had been signed and the terms of legal agreement protecting our families and us from any future lawsuit had been agreed upon. There was no way this man was ever hovering near her again.

Upon gaining consciousness this morning, Azar claimed he had no recollection of the previous night and how he'd gotten himself into his present state. For a wretched moment, the temptation to leave without repeating the events of last night and opening up yet another pandora box of unknown possibilities seemed too enticing, but there was no way I could risk the storm that would arise if he unexpectedly recalled his memory and decided to become a vindictive little puppy. 

I had enough barking dogs to deal with. And absolutely no desire of adopting another one.

But right now, I felt lucky to have arrived at the hospital before the police had a chance to interrogate him. And judging by the way the colour of his face changed, as I recapitulated the dreadful happenings of last night, I was pretty certain, the man was not lying. He had absolutely no clue what he had done, and for all he knew now, he'd attacked Layla Malik and her guards had trashed him to pieces.