Part 14.

Carter's Office
Downtown Los Angeles

tw: abuse

"Hey nice to meet you, I'm Dré

"Hey nice to meet you, I'm Dré ... Giselle's older brother." Dré spoke to Carter with a soft smile. Sticking out his hand for a proper shake came next, and he felt pleased at the strength Carter possessed once their hands collided. He did have to admit that the aura radiating off Carter was alluring, and it further proved his point that he was someone with endless wealth and high standards — right up Giselle's alley.

"Dré, I'm Shawn; but most refer to me by my last name, Carter. W—what brings you by?" He stumbled at the end.

"Funny you should ask that," Dré started before walking away and helping himself to a seat in front of Carter's desk. "Never was it my intention to find out who you were before my sister introduced us, but with all that has been going on lately, I figured it was time."

"All going on like what?" Carter tried to act clueless; yet all it did was cause Dré to let out a tiny chuckle.

"C'mon man, loosen up!" He joked around. "I'm sure you know what I'm referring too — the case, your personal interest in my sister, and this uh weird connection you have with 'ole guy Rick?"

Dré made sure to keep good eye contact after the mention of said person, yet when Carter's expression did not crack, Dré knew that his shell would be tough to open.

"Look, I know my presence right now comes as a surprise, but I honestly want no beef. If it makes you feel any better maybe we can talk about this outside of your workplace?" Dré offered after the two remained idle in soft silence.

Carter was slow to nod his head in agreement, "I'd appreciate it, since I rather not have others lurking in our business. You like cigars?" He finished with a smile.

Dré stood up immediately and reached out to dab him up. "Of course, my man ... lead the way." Carter's instinct to change from a corporate man to his hidden New York persona put Dré's mind at ease; after all, he wasn't that uptight Giselle made him out to be.

Since it was gifted upon him to be a member of the elite, Grand Havana Room in Beverly Hills, Carter led the way to the upscale cigar club that housed a plethora of options varying in size and authenticity. The pair chose to sit out on the terrace and embrace the fall Los Angeles air as their server prepared a sample tray of goodies and drinks to their liking. After deciding which brand of cigars to try first, they occupied themselves with their phones until everything was provided.

"So, are you from around here?" Dré asked once his cigar was nicely lit.

"Not exactly," Carter replied. "I grew up in San Fernando Valley, but my family is originally from New York — Brooklyn to be exact."