chapter two

There was always something quite funny about getting scolded by Anthony. Well, as he tried to for their mother’s sake. He rarely lorded his title as man of the house over the elder Bridgerton brood as they never seemed to take him seriously. 

Benedict remained unaffected by Anthony’s anger, and Colin was slippery enough to not get caught causing trouble. Their eldest brother had given up on gaining respect from any of his sisters: Daphne would simply purse her lips and shrug before leaving the room; Eloise would rear up and fight back, leading to endless squabbling. And Emily? She was much too smart to be alone after any of her misdeeds. 

Hence why she had jumped from the carriage before it had stopped and ran as quickly as she could to her room, her siblings laughing as Anthony and their mother shouted for her. 

She only came down much later, dressed in something far more comfortable than her debut dress, when the tempers had cooled. The morning’s excitement had died down, and the family continued with their afternoon as they usually would. Lunch, then laughing as someone continued with their lessons. 

Today’s victims were Eloise, Francesca and Gergory, and Emily wouldn’t allow anything to keep her from sitting to the side as she mocked their misfortune. 

As one of the only Bridgerton girls who could, Francesca sat by the piano, fingers moving gracefully as she played a gentle dance tune. Benedict sprawled on one of the couches, a sketch pad in his lap but not paying any attention. Hyacinth sat with her elbow on the armrest, cheek cradled in her palms, with Emily sitting next to her. They had all brought something to keep them busy, but it all lay forgotten as they watched the wreck. 

Gregory and Eloise were dancing. 

If you could call Eloise’s shuffling of feet while Gregory leaned his weight from foot to foot dancing. 

Whatever it was they were doing, at the least, the three sitting Bridgertons were highly entertained. 

Hyacinth and Emily shared a concerned frown as the instructor helped them find the rhythm. 

“I do not think she’s very good,” their youngest sister remarked. 

“I believe she can hear you,” Benedict said, chewing on his paintbrush. 

“I can hear you,” Eloise interrupted. 

“Can you?” Emily asked. “But she said it so quietly.” 

She felt the cold glare on her cheeks before smiling at her twin. The distraction caused Eloise to step on Gregory’s foot. 

“Ow!” he exclaimed. “I only have two of those, you know?” 

Eloise ignored him, untangling their arms. “Might we be done?” 

Their mother, who had up until that point, had a slightly horrified look on her face. Benedict snapped his fingers towards Emily, showing her his rough painting. Seeing it, she snickered silently, unsurprised to find a copy of her mother on the pages.

“If you are to catch the queen’s eyer after that interruption, you must be perfection,” their mother insisted. 

“Then why,” Eloise whined, “am I the only one forced to endure these lessons? Emily is sitting right there, doing nothing.” 

“False,” Emily interjected. “I am sitting here, laughing at you.” 

Eloise looked at her mother, eyebrows raised as if to say, ‘See?’ 

Benedict decided to interrupt. “It might be because she is already an excellent dancer, Eloise.” 

He shot a charming smile toward the younger twin, who only reacted by squinting her eyes with suspicion.