2

Adam was outside in his backyard throwing his baseball at the pitchback when his mom called to him from inside the house. He sprinted into the house with hawking, his dog, following him. When he stepped inside he saw his mom in a fancy teal colored dress.

"Where are you going?" he asked skeptically as his mom was looking through her wallet. It was just a year and a half ago that his dad along with yours died. It bothered him that his mom was okay, that she wasn't grieving. Just because his dad had died doesnt mean his mom had to get remarried. Nobody could replace his dad.

"Oh, just out to dinner with a friend." she replied a bit nervously while Adam sat down in his chair at the dinning table.

"Which friend?"

"His name's Derek. We work together."

"You're going on a date." Adam clarified for her.

"It's not a date. I dont think it's a date." she defended.

"Your dress thinks it's a date," he pointed out. It was true. She was dressed very elegantly and in fact looked like she was about to go on a date.

"Oh, It is a date. I am going on a date. Why am I going on a date." she said, slightly panicking as she hit a point of realization.

"Can we please stop saying 'date' now? Thanks." he pointed his pizza at her while speaking. He didn't need to be reminded of how her mom wants to replace his father with some random man she works with.

"Adam, I'm sorry. We... we should have spoken about this. I don't know how to handle it." she said while pulling out a chair next to Adam and sitting in it. "Let's talk about it right now"

"Dear god, no." Adam stood from his chair and walked away towards the fridge trying desperately to avoid this very conversation.

"You can have any kind of feeling. It's normal. As long as we're a team–" She was cut off in the middle of her very moving speech by her phone getting an alert that someone texted her

"Oh- Time to go." Adam rushed, wanting this conversation to end as soon as possible. He grabbed a soda and closed his fridge but since it was broken he had to push it twice for it to actually shut.

"He texted me?" she was realizing how more and more of a date this was seeming.

"We will talk about it tonight. y/n and y/b/n are on their way"

y/b/n is 19 so when Adam's mom goes out he usually babysits for some extra cash.

"Mom, wait." Adam stopped her on her way to the door.

"What?"

"Turn around."

Adam moved the hair from her back and gently zipped up his mom's dress.

"Make good choices, okay?" He advised her as if he were her parent.

"Said the boy who got suspended."

"I love you honey." she said then kissed his cheek

"I love you too, mom. More than I know." She said mimicking her son's prepubescent voice. She gave him one last forehead kiss and then turned around and headed to the door.

"Listen, while I'm out, lock up the back. No ovens, no answering the door, no video games."

—----------—-----------------------------time skip—-------------------------------------------------------

    It was late at night and y/b/n had fallen asleep in the guest room. You and Adam were sitting on his bed with VRs on your heads playing a multiplayer flying simulator. Suddenly, the power surges and rumbling is heard from beneath you. Hawking gets scared and begins to whine. Confused, you and Adam took off your headsets. Hawking lowly growled at the door and then jumped off the bed whilst barking intimidatingly.

You and Adam say nothing and just look at each other in confusion and fear. You two peeked through the cracked open door and saw hawking run outside. You ran over to his dresser because you remembered he always keeps a flashlight in there.

"C'mon let's go get hawking."

    You two walked outside cautiously to see hawking standing right outside the door, barking at something in the woods.

"What is it? You see something?" Adam questioned the dog.

Suddenly hawking whined then ran quickly into the woods. You and Adam both called out to him to return but he paid no mind. You were both scared of what lay in the woods this late at night. For all you know it could be a serial killer alien shaped like spongebob. You and Adam looked at each other in fear, then looked ahead at the woods. You felt something soft and warm touch your hand. You looked down to see Adam had linked your hands together. Suddenly, you weren't as scared as before.

You two started walking forwards into the woods. Adam picked up a baseball bat next to the pitchback. You two walked further and further into the woods yelling for hawking. You heard rustling and scrabbling. Once in the middle of the woods you saw fire flakes lighting up the sky, then some trees glowing from the fire. You both watched in awe.

Hawking barks snapping you two out of your trance. He emerges from behind a bush. And whimpers.

"Oh my god. You scared the crap out of me." Adam tells Hawking. He bends down to grab Hawking's collar but as he does rustling is heard from behind us.

"Who's there?" you yelled frightened.

"I don't think we should be out here."

You nod at his words and you both start running back to the house. As you do Adams asthma starts acting up. This has happened many times before and as his best friend you know exactly what to do and how to time his breathing.

"Okay you ready?" You pumped the enhairler into his mouth

"Deep breath, Hold it. Three, two, one, let it go. Great! Everybody gets a trophy." 

"Thanks y/n." he smiled gratefully at you.

"That's what best friends do for each other."

His smile lowered slowly but you paid no mind to it. Instead you two focused on the loud clattering sounds coming from the garage. Hawking heard it too and started barking defensively and ran into the garage. You too had no idea what was inside but you can only imagine the worst. Adam and you looked at each other and nodded. He grabbed your hand and you two began to walk inside.

Once inside you flashed your flashlight around the room. You saw nothing just the normal stuff. A table, shelves, tools, a man, a couch, wait-

A man?

---------AN--------

HIII!!

i'm glad you guys are liking the story so far! but i'm going on vacation tmrw so I have no idea if ill be able to update until Wednesday.

Anyways I don't proof read so if you see any mistakes comment and ill change it

1115 words