CHAPTER 6

RECRUIT ONE

"Malcolm Olu, twenty two years old, born and raised in Abuja.His dad is deceased, he lives with his mum and four siblings. He is practically the bread winner of his family, his mum sells vegetables in the market which amounts to nothing.He has been working for central bank as a janitor for two years now but life is still very hard for him, considering his pay. He's a hustler and wants nothing more in life, than to get his family out of poverty,  Nelson explained to Nick and I.

"So what exactly qualifies him, how certain are you that he wouldn't just sell us out." I questioned Nelson's choice.

"Because he could do anything to get his family out of that life." Nelson replied.

"Yes he could do anything for his family, the more reason why he could sell us out to get paid legally inorder to give his family a good life." I argued.

"What's your problem Paige, are you against the selection because it's I who selected him." He asked pissed.

"What?, last I checked, I was the one who asked you to select the janitors that'll help us." I denied his accusation.

"Then stop looking for faults and just go with it." He said.

"No that's not how we operate, we have to make sure that nothing goes wrong." I persisted.

"You think I don't know that, you know what?, why don't you just do the digging and choose the best and qualified candidate by yourself, I'm done here." He rose angrily.

"Seriously?,you're just gonna abandon what you started and leave?" I implied.

"When are you going to get it, I'm here to stay, I'm not leaving, I just can't be around you when you're being a bit....."
He stopped and just screamed instead, then he stormed out of the front door.

"What was that about?" Nick looked at me judgely.

"Look I'm going to find Nelson,I'll be back, we don't need anyone delaying us." That was a lie,I regretted my actions and wished to fix it.

Luckily for me, I shared a location on my phone with Nelson, this was my doing when we were still together but I never told him though. I didn't want to give him the impression that I cared too much about him or that i was being possesive because that wasn't the case, i didn't completely trust him when we wanted to get my mum out of jail, so I did this so I could easily be able to find him, just incase he wished to double cross us.

"F**k, Nelson what are you doing in a place like this." I asked myself as I stepped out of my car.

There was this nostalgic feeling about this place, it reminded me of my past, where and how I lived. It got me wondering what on earth Nelson was doing in a place like this,people like him didn't fit in here, he'll be eaten for breakfast.

"Paige?, what are you doing here?" Nelson asked surprised when he saw me.

He was seated in a local bar, with a bottle of star in front of him. I knew that the drink was only in front of him, because he wished to blend in. Nelson never drinks beer, he only drinks wine, not because he was from a rich background, it was just a habit.

"I should be asking you the same question, a guy like you shouldn't be in a place like this." I said.

"A guy like me, really Paige?. Look I don't want to fight with you, I just came here to get evidence to prove that Malcolm can be trusted."

"Where is he?" I asked calmly and took a seat beside him.

"Over the bar counter, he takes extra shifts when he isn't working at CBN" He explained.