Chapter Twenty Five

Emily

Life moves on around me, but it's the first of December and I'm still stuck in a summer of love. I still haven't told Jameson about our baby. I haven't heard from him since our last call in November.

I had to tell my parents I was pregnant. They weren't happy. But at least they didn't yell. Momma held me while I cried. Daddy threatened to find Jameson and knock his lights out.

Amy went with me to my first doctor appointment. We both cried. I find out in a few weeks what the baby is. I'm so excited to find out. Amy told Mac, but told him not to tell Jameson because I want to. Mac said he's been bringin' me up, he also said Jameson has a lot goin' on. He said it's Jameson's place to tell me.

I still cry at night. But when I feel our baby move inside me, I'm reminded maybe this innocent life inside of me was the answer to my prayers from God.

I've been goin' to church and prayin' all the time. I just want to be closer to God, and now I have more of a reason to be. This baby deserves the best version of me.

I wonder why Jameson doesn't call. Is he with her? I wonder if he would be here with me if he knew I was havin' his baby.

My house is slowly comin' along. I'm due May 18th, and it should be done before the baby is born.

On January 4th Amy goes with me to find out what the baby is. We find out the baby is a healthy girl who is growin' perfectly.

I cry again in the parkin' lot. Amy hugs me tight. "Okay enough Em. This weekend you and me and goin' on a road trip. You ready to go to Alabama?"

I cry harder because I know I need to do this, but honestly I'm not sure how.

When the weekend comes we load up my car. I hug momma and daddy bye. "Be careful girls. Call us when you make it."

Amy drives the biggest part of the way while I sleep. An hour before we get to where we are meetin' Mac I start hyperventilating.

What if he doesn't want us? What if I have to do this on my own? What if his maw hates me when she meets me in person.

We get to Mobile around five in the afternoon. We meet Mac at local restaurant. He hugs us both and kisses Amy.

"You ready to go tell him?" Mac asks me.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Mac gives me his maw's address, and I get into my car after eating an early dinner.

The drive there I think about everything that could happen. It's funny though isn't it? Did you see it comin'? I sure didn't see the outcome.

I pull into the driveway of his maw's farm. It's absolutely beautiful and I can picture a small Jameson runnin' around this farm. I step out on shaky legs, and make my way up to the porch.

I knock a couple times then wait. My hand instinctively goes to my belly, and I say a quick prayer that everything goes okay.

The door opens and a beautiful blonde looks over at me. "Can I help you?" She  has a coldness to her voice, but I can tell it's Mandy by the way he described her.

My heart is beatin' so fast, and I feel the tears burnin' my eyes. I clear my throat. "My name is Emily. I was hopin' I could talk to Jameson. It's important."

She looks down at my hand on my belly, then she laughs. It sounds crazy and misplaced. In the next instant a little dark haired, blue eyed boy comes runnin' up to Mandy. "Momma, momma! Daddy is gonna take me ridin' on the horse."

She looks down at him then back at me. "I'm not sure who you think you are, but you're not gonna come in here and ruin my family."

"Mandy who's at the door?" I hear his voice before I see him.

He looks over at me then down at my belly. "Emmalynn." He whispers my name like it's his first drink of water in years.

I turn around and run to my car. Tears pourin' down my face. Lightning strikes in the distance and the storm comin' that I'm sure matches my shattered heart.

As soon as I make it to my car door Jameson is there. He grabs my hand and turns me to see his face. "You're pregnant." It's like all he can do is whisper.

Mandy yells in the background "Jameson let her go. Come in here to your family."

I look up into his tortured eyes. "You should get back to them." Then I turn around get into my car and drive away.

The storm is raging as I take off down the road. My tears are streamin' down my face and memories of our summer together surface.

I look into my rear view and see Jameson's truck comin' up behind me. As I turn my attention back to the road it all happens so fast. It's ironic don't you think? We met in a storm, and our ending might as well be during one as well. Lightning strikes a tree that I didn't see because I was lookin' in my rear view. When I change my focus back to the road it's too late. I tree falls which causes me to slam on my brakes. Somehow I slide off the side of the road, then my car flips. The last thing I think of is my baby girl, and the last thing I see is Jameson runnin' towards me. Then everything goes black.