chapter six

sadie

"I'll be there before you know it."

That's what Charlie said to me after his game earlier. I tried to get him to leave at nine like everyone else, but he refused because he wanted to work on his shooting.

It's now ten-thirty, and I've been checking the clock nonstop to see if he'll actually show or not. I know I shouldn't be getting my hopes up at this point, but it's worth a shot.

I look over at Ella and Morgan, who are both passed out. Like them, I would've fallen asleep as soon as I got back to the dorm if I wasn't waiting on Charlie.

I turn back to my homework, trying to redirect my focus on something more productive. After a few minutes of attempting to solve algebra problems, I hear a soft knock on the door.

I stand up, stretch, and walk over to the door. I open it to see Charlie, who has a look of pure guilt on his face.

"I am so sorry." he starts, as he immediately envelops me in a hug. "I just lost track of time. I really didn't realize how late it was, and-"

"Charlie, it's fine." I interrupt, forcing a smile onto my face. "You're here now. That's what matters."

He hugs me tighter and kisses my head before walking over to my desk. "What're you working on?"

"Math." I answer, wrinkling my nose in disgust. Everyone knows that math is by far my least favorite subject.

He looks over my shoulder at my textbook, and chuckles lightly. "I can help you if you want, or do you want to do it yourself?"

"How about you do it for me?" I suggest, looking up at him. "Since you were late, I think it's a suitable punishment... don't you?"

"Oh the things I do for you." he says with a sigh, as he sits down at my desk and starts working. I watch as he diligently works through the page, not stopping once to second guess himself.

"How are you so good at this?" I ask him, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

He shrugs and puts the pencil down, glancing at me before looking back at the worksheet. "I don't know. Dad used to teach me before he left. It was only third grade multiplication, but it still meant something. I guess I've always carried his tricks with me, even though I've tried so hard to forget them."

I stay silent, because I know how hard it is for Charlie to open up about his dad. I just wrap my arms around him tighter and pull him close. I guess this is the only way I can show my support for him, because I haven't been through what he has.

He gently grabs my arm and started rubbing it with his thumb, which I think is his way of telling me that he's okay.

After a few minutes, he lets me go and we walk over to my bed. I make myself comfortable before lifting the covers, gesturing for him to climb in. He does and pulls me close, which almost immediately makes me relax. I slowly feel myself falling asleep, but I keep trying to keep my eyes open.

"He has to go back at some point." I keep telling myself. "Don't let yourself fall asleep."

"It's okay." Charlie suddenly whispers, almost as if he read my mind. "Go to sleep. I'll stay here."

I let my eyes close and snuggle myself deeper into my boyfriend. Within minutes, I completely pass out.

I definitely get a great night sleep thanks to my newest pillow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!