chapter 1: the idea

"I can't believe you're going to Welton. You hate school. I don't think you should go if you don't even like school. There are so many other educational opportunities you can convince mom and dad to go to! And plus since you got kicked out from your last school, just think about how it'll go at this school! Now, I want you to attend every single class. And if you don't-"
I was talking on and on to my twin brother, Thomas, about him going to Welton Academy. I can't believe it. I don't get why mom and dad think he should go to that place of all places. He should go to a public school. If he did he could stay home and mom and dad would know if he skipped classes or not. But no, mom and dad want the best for him and want him to be smart. What about me? I'm glad you asked, which you actually didn't do because this is all in my mind. Anyways, I'm going to Ridgeway High. I'm not that disappointed, but I just wish my brother could just go to the same as mine and live what I'm living. I don't care about school just as much as he does, so I think it's very unfair.
My brother stands up and closes the door to his almost empty room. He's all packed up for Welton. He speaks in a hushed voice. "I'm not going." "WHAT?" I scream. "Shh! I need your help. I got a gig. Y'know, for my music." I'm confused. "That's great, but I feel like there's a point to all of this. Get to it already." I say. "There is. It's in London. I'm going there for a couple of weeks." "LOND-" My brother quickly puts his hand over my mouth to shut me up. "Shut up, man! Mom and dad don't know. I need your help to cover for me, just for like two weeks. Call the school and pretend to be mom and say that I'm really sick or something, and everything will be a-ok." I sigh. "What about mom and dad?" "They think I'm staying at grandpa's. Y'know his house is close to Welton." "but... IT'S GRANDPA!!!" "Exactly! I won't even need to tell him! Even if I were actually staying there he wouldn't even know." "What about that first day when the whole family is there on the first day?" "Already covered." "How?" "It just is." "Okay then... when are you leaving?" "Tonight." I'm about to scream at his again and I know my brother can tell because it looks like he's prepared for action to shut me up again. But I can't believe it. He's leaving tonight and he just told me his plan now??! I take a pillow and scream "TONIGHT?!" in it so mom and dad can't hear me. "Exactly. See ya in a while, sis."

I'm lying in my bed, awake, staring at the ceiling. My brother left. He's supposed to start Welton in two days. But of course, he's not. My school starts in two weeks. Man, my brother is lucky he's eventually going to Welton. I don't know much about it, but I've heard parents say it's an excellent school. I wish I could go. Too bad I can't pretend to be my brother and-
Wait. Pretend to be my brother? Pretend to be my brother. Y'know, maybe my grandpa could use another "visitor".

"You want me to turn you into your brother?! You're nuts." My friend Rob says to me. "C'mon, Rob! It's a great idea! They don't accept girls at that school! I'd be proving a point that girls should attend Welton Academy, too! And plus, think about those poor men who probably only see one woman per day who's double their age. They need some new faces, too. Especially if they're as pretty as mine." I say. "But don't you need to be smart to attend Welton?" "I don't know, man! Just give me a wig and teach me how to act like a man!!!" Rob sighs. "Okay, okay, fine. But you're gonna owe me big time..."

And so Rob got to work.