Chapter 13

Aiden drove out of Erik's neighborhood and turned in the opposite direction of my house. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"I want you to consider Maddy as a serious suspect," Aiden said.

"You thought I didn't already consider her as a serious suspect?"

"I think people have a tendency to overlook women as suspects in criminal cases, yes."

"She has the height and the strength to fit Colton's attacker, but... I don't think it's her."

"Why not?"

"First, she has no motive other than the money."

"Money is a really big motivator for anyone."

"I don't think so," I said.

"You don't know why she went to juvie."

"Ok, why did she go to juvie?"

"I can't tell you, but there is a newspaper article online." He touched his cell phone with one hand while driving with the other which made me nervous, then he handed me his phone. The article was about a thirteen year old from Westminster charged with aggravated assault and robbery of an elderly man four years ago.

"Seriously? This was Maddy?"

Aiden smirked.

"She doesn't have the voice of Colton's attacker, though."

"I think you'd be surprised. What did the attacker say?"

Thinking back to that dreadful night and the person in the black hoodie with a mask made me feel stigmatized, like it wasn't over. The words, give me the money, left a sickening feeling in my stomach. If Colton had only handed the money over, but money was a necessary evil, and Colton loved money more than anything. He had known what it was like not to have it and he wasn't going to hand it over, not even if it meant his life. I covered my eyes and leaned on the passenger side door. The rim of the hoodie over shadowed eyes, the strength in the arms that threw Colton to the ground, fierce and brutal. The hands, slicing Colton's neck in one swift stroke.

"Ehlana?"

I uncovered my eyes. "Hmmm?"

"What did the attacker say?"

I stared at my hands. "Give me the money."

"That's all?"

"Yeah, I think."

He reached over and squeezed my shoulder sympathetically. Guilt creeped into my conscience. He clearly cared for me more than I cared for him. I wished I could reciprocate his feelings to be fair, but I couldn't force them. I was selfish, but the only thing I found him good for was satisfying my fantasy of Colton. I wonder if he sensed my indifference. I leaned toward the door, pretending to be tired and his hand fell from my shoulder.

The motion of the car was relaxing. My body shifted with the turns until we came to a stop and he turned off the engine. He shook me and I opened my eyes. We were parked in front of an apartment building which I assumed was Maddison's.

We walked up three flights of stairs as we got to apartment 307 the door flung open and Maddison was standing there wearing a black hoodie and black sweat pants with a smile when she looked down at me, but it faded when she saw Aiden standing behind me with his hands on my shoulders. "Are you guys dating now?" She asked.

Aiden said yes at the same time I said no. I walked in as she held the door for us, letting his hands fall and said under my breath, "it's complicated."

Her jaw tightened, but Maddison covered her sheer distaste with a smile. "You guys want some pizza?"

Not knowing where my next meal was coming from I said yes as Aiden said no, roaring over my voice.