Chapter 2 - Wels

This whole chapter is essentially Wels angsting and also some Jevin and some backstory. Enjoy

"Are you excited?"

"Maybe."

"I know it's not a maybe."

"Gods, do you ever stop talking?" Wels groaned, and Hels shuffled back, looking slightly abashed.

"Sorry. I'm really excited. Only a little while longer!" Hels grinned, bouncing a little.

"You know they let us outside for a reason, right? Go run laps on the track, blow off some steam," Wels suggested.

"I may do that. But I don't want to be sweaty for the aptitude test! I'll just do a couple laps then come back." Hels sprang to his feet and jetted off. Wels rolled his eyes and leaned back against the tree, watching the other sixteen-year-olds mill about, gathering in clusters with others of different factions, or, more commonly, their own. Wels sighed and shifted his weight, watching as several Dauntless-borns kicked a crushed energy drink can around nearby.

"May I join you?" The timid voice startled Wels, as he hadn't noticed anyone approaching. He glanced around, noticing the tan boy dressed in Amity reds and browns hovering nearby.

"Sure." Wels shuffled a little, so the boy could settle in the shade of the tree. "I'm Wels."

"Jevin," the boy said softly. "I'm Amity." Wels already knew that. The kid was dressed in Amity's colors, had the same mannerisms, and looked like he had grown up in the orchards, carrying around baskets of fruits. Wels turned his gaze back to the group of Dauntless, watching as one of them accidentally hit an Abnegation boy with the can. The boy scrambled back, apologizing profusely, but the Dauntless ignored him, instead retrieving the can and running back to their group. Wels watched the boy hastily gather his things and dart away.

"He's kinda cute." Wels jumped, as he had forgotten Jevin was there. The Amity boy was watching the Stiff as well.

"He's a Stiff," Wels told him flatly.

"I know, but still. Doesn't stop him from being hot."

"His band has the aroace flag." The boy sat next to Wels during Advanced Lit.

"Oh-"

"Yeah." Bands, which were introduced around the same time as the Inter-faction Reform, were gray wristbands issued at age eight to everyone. From there, you were free to decorate them however you wanted, with a few requirements. Sexual and romantic attraction had to be visible, and most people put their pronouns and preferred names on them if it was different from their assigned. Wels himself had the asexual and panromantic flags on his.

An Amity boy called to Jevin, and he stood up and darted off, leaving Wels alone.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the upperclassmen's short recess and summoning them to lunch. And, afterwards, the aptitude tests. Wels nervously wiped his palms on his jeans as he stood.

Word count: 469