~Chapter Six~

It wasn't either of our faults, I knew that much. We had been taking a short rest break, leaning against the side of one of the vast play structures as I giddily caught my breath. Everything was completely and utterly normal until it wasn't; the lights cut out with absolutely no warning, a deafening silence quickly following suit. Within seconds, Sun was descending into a full-blown panic.

"No...NO!!!!" he shrieked, causing me to wince against the sudden rise in pitch; he'd basically just yelled right into my ear. "NO, THE LIGHTS—WHY DID THE LIGHTS TURN OFF?!?" He was hastily standing up, screaming frantically into the darkness.

"M-maybe a power outage? Sun, it's okay—" was all I was able to get out before he was redirecting his focus to me.

"JESSE. JESSE. YOU HAVE TO GO," he demanded, his tone nervous and wobbly. My eyes widened in startled confusion. "YOU HAVE TO GO NOW!!! RUN, PROMISE ME YOU'LL RUN—" His voice was suddenly cut off by a sharp, pained whine, prompting me to instinctively lurch backwards. Louder, more disturbed noises followed, causing a fresh rush of adrenaline to make its way through my body and concern to lace my features—was he in pain? I wanted to help him, but I couldn't even see him. I had the feeling that there wasn't much I'd be able to do even if I could.

Instead I laid there helpless, panting lightly as I urged my vision to hurry the fuck up already, allow me to see what was going on. Sun's struggled, robotic moans tapered off faster than I expected, and then I was confronted with silence once more as I desperately squinted into the darkness.

Two pinpoints of light, bright and red in color, suddenly assaulted my vision, causing it to momentarily fade as it tried to adjust. A faint yellow glow followed in small patches, collaborating with my visual efforts to produce a vague outline of the animatronic standing before me.

It wasn't Sundrop. I knew that from the start; Sundrop didn't have pupils. My eyes adjusted quickly to the glowing yellow patches that patterned his clothing—stars. And as my gaze traveled upwards, ultimately landing on the shadowed face of my former companion, it clicked.

Of course. If Sun was active during the day, then his alter-ego, active only at night...would be Moon.

Before I could do any further assessing, it spoke. It was an entirely different voice from Sun's: low, gravelly, and downright unsettling in the most stereotypical, villain-like way possible.

"Naughty, naughty boy," it croaked, its head rotating and clicking like an insect, "it's past your bedtime..."

This was the horror film scenario I'd been expecting since day one. Being stuck in an empty children's daycare, stranded with no means of escape, in complete darkness while facing down a grisly predator that took the form of my crush. It was pure nightmare fuel...except for one thing.

"Um...I'm a girl," I murmured nervously, unable to contain a light snort in the face of my confusion, fear, and downright amusement at having immediately been misgendered by this likely murderous robot. It was as though the nature of my circumstances only made it worse, and within seconds I was trying and failing to stifle laughter in the darkness.

"Naughty girl," the new entity corrected itself, but it was too late; I was giggling and snorting into my hand. "It's past your—STOP LAUGHING." Its voice suddenly increased in sharpness and pitch, and I managed to silence myself well enough to respond.

"I don't even have a bedtime," I replied in a wobbly tone. "I'm an adult. I—I work here."

There was more clicking as the animatronic seemed to scrutinize me. "What is an employee...doing here afterhours?" God, he sounded like Salad Fingers, but louder.