~Chapter Seven~ NIGHT THREE pt. 2

I immediately winced as my vision was practically assaulted, my eyes snapping shut. I could feel the robotic hands around my arms loosen their grip as Moon emitted a staticky noise of disgruntled confusion. He muttered something crackly and indecipherable as his weight left me entirely, and I remained laying on the floor with my arms raised to shield my eyes from the harsh light.

There wasn't much noise from the animatronic, nowhere near as much as there had been when Sun first transformed into Moon. I couldn't really watch what was happening regardless, as my vision was blurred by the adjustment process and all I could make out was the vague outline of Sundrop as he transformed. I was instantly flooded with relief as I made note of the familiar spikes adorning his head, and then, unable to prop myself up much longer, I fell backwards with a heavy sigh. I was exhausted.

I was panting lightly when I heard his voice—music to my ears, ironically enough. "Jesse!!! JESSE!!! ARE YOU OKAY?!!!!" he was screeching as he leaned over me, immediately picking me up off the floor and holding me before him. I winced a little at the sudden movement and the continued harshness of the lights, but I was trying to offer him a wobbly smile.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, Sun," I heard myself mumbling as though I were on autopilot. "I'm not hurt or anything, no injuries..."

He seemed to be panicking once more as he carried me across the room, while I was still gradually regaining my senses. He was rambling worriedly to himself, the words difficult to make out in his haste. Then, suddenly, he was adjusting his grip on me, pulling me tightly to his chest with both arms and disallowing me from seeing what was going on. I was confused and startled when I felt him jump, the sensation that followed akin to flying—it felt like we were floating on air.

It only lasted a second, and then we were returning to the ground with a soft thump. It was so strangely gentle, I couldn't even process what was happening. He continued to walk with me, taking large, panicked strides until I couldn't recognize what little of my surroundings I had been able to see anymore. How could this be possible?

When he finally released me, we were no longer in the daycare. No—if I glanced to my right, I could see the daycare just beyond a little opening, but we were now above it. If I remembered correctly, there was that small stage attached to the daycare's wall that had an exit—the little castle. I'd always assumed there was very little back there, if anything at all, but I could see now that there was quite a bit of space. In fact, there was another level below us, but I couldn't see much from here. I was glancing quietly around as Sun took a couple steps away from me, his hands held nervously at his chest.

"We're in my room," he explained, his tone lower than usual. "I didn't—I've never taken anyone here. You're not supposed to see this place."

I returned my gaze to him, my eyes alight with wonder. "I didn't know you had a room," I curiously replied. "I thought you like—lived in the daycare, or something."

Sun shook his head wildly. "No, no, I'm only in the daycare when the kids are here," he continued anxiously, and I cocked a brow in confusion.

"But...you were always staying down there after the mall closed. Y'know, to finish cleaning up with me," I said. "And then we'd spend the night there too...why would you do that if you had your own room?" I couldn't believe the guy had been holding out on me.

Sun shook his head again, distraught. "You're not supposed to see this place," he repeated, his hands fiddling with each other nervously. "We had to stay in the daycare. I wanted to stay in the daycare, for our sleepovers! We were having so much fun..."